Old 11-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Registered User

Location: Hever
Default British Summer!

This continual rain may be bgetting us all down, but it's doing wonders for our gardens in Kent, where we still have hosepipe restrictions.

The wettest drought on record as we are calling it!

I run a wholesale plant nursery and our perennials are looking fantastic - they love the rain!
Attached Thumbnails
British Summer!-echinacea-marmalade.jpg   British Summer!-salvia-caradonna.jpg
Old 11-06-2012, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 11:59:01 +0000, SIMON SUTCLIFFE
wrote:

This continual rain may be bgetting us all down, but it's doing wonders
for our gardens in Kent, where we still have hosepipe restrictions.

The wettest drought on record as we are calling it!

I run a wholesale plant nursery and our perennials are looking fantastic
- they love the rain!

I'm sure you already know but drought is not directly related to
rainfall. It's more about what finishes up in the water supply. If
reservoir levels are lower than expected, it's a drought!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

This continual rain may be bgetting us all down, but it's doing wonders
for our gardens in Kent, where we still have hosepipe restrictions.

The wettest drought on record as we are calling it!

I run a wholesale plant nursery and our perennials are looking fantastic
- they love the rain!

I'm sure you already know but drought is not directly related to
rainfall. It's more about what finishes up in the water supply. If
reservoir levels are lower than expected, it's a drought!

Steve

Many moons ago when I was young the definition of a draught was no
rainfall for 2 weeks. Now however the water companies have taken over
the definition!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

This continual rain may be bgetting us all down, but it's doing wonders
for our gardens in Kent, where we still have hosepipe restrictions.

The wettest drought on record as we are calling it!

I run a wholesale plant nursery and our perennials are looking fantastic
- they love the rain!

I'm sure you already know but drought is not directly related to
rainfall. It's more about what finishes up in the water supply. If
reservoir levels are lower than expected, it's a drought!

Steve

Many moons ago when I was young the definition of a draught was no
rainfall for 2 weeks.

Yes, that's the definition I know. More rain than you can shake an
umbrella at is not my idea of a drought!

Now however the water companies have taken over
the definition!

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

This continual rain may be bgetting us all down, but it's doing
wonders for our gardens in Kent, where we still have hosepipe
restrictions.

The wettest drought on record as we are calling it!

I run a wholesale plant nursery and our perennials are looking
fantastic - they love the rain!

I'm sure you already know but drought is not directly related to
rainfall. It's more about what finishes up in the water supply. If
reservoir levels are lower than expected, it's a drought!

Steve

Many moons ago when I was young the definition of a draught was no
rainfall for 2 weeks.

Yes, that's the definition I know. More rain than you can shake an
umbrella at is not my idea of a drought!

Now however the water companies have taken over
the definition!

I was told 3 weeks but the principle was the same. I can't imagine
reservoirs being low atm but I suppose somebody will prove me wrong,
somewhere!

I get the same feeling that somebody will try to prove me wrong, but here
goes.
Although the reservoirs seem full, the area underneath is still not
"soaked" enough. Water from the reservoir above is leaking into it.When
that area is saturated the reservoir should not leak any more water into
it and and will fill up.
Do these words make sense? I am not too good at explaining exactly what I
mean to.

Baz

Old 12-06-2012, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Many moons ago when I was young the definition of a draught was no
rainfall for 2 weeks.

WIWAL, the definition of a draught was a chilly breeze.

Did it stop the snow melting?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Hever

Thank-you all for all your definitions of a drought - I think I follow?!! Still, it's doing our gardens a world of good - just need some sun to appreciate them now!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
Sacha wrote in :

snip
I was told 3 weeks but the principle was the same. I can't imagine
reservoirs being low atm but I suppose somebody will prove me wrong,
somewhere!

I get the same feeling that somebody will try to prove me wrong, but here
goes.
Although the reservoirs seem full, the area underneath is still not
"soaked" enough. Water from the reservoir above is leaking into it.When
that area is saturated the reservoir should not leak any more water into
it and and will fill up.
Do these words make sense? I am not too good at explaining exactly what I
mean to.

Baz

I think it is slightly different.
The reservoirs may be filling/full but they don't supply all the water.
A lot of water comes from ground water extraction (artesian wells and the
like) and river water extraction.
The rivers rely at least in part on being fed by springs - where the ground
water hits an impermeable rock layer and travels along until it comes out of
the ground.

So the real problem, I think, is that water takes months (at least six?) to
fully permeate down from the surface to replenish the ground water supplies
and raise the water table.
This means that it can be raining for months and there is still a water
shortage for some extraction methods.

Six months on it may be dry as a bone above ground for a month and there is
still plenty of water in the ground.

Granted that a raised water table should reduce leakage from reservoirs but
probably more important is the flow from the feeder rivers/streams.

Whatever, we must be getting towards the end of the drought which ever way
you measure it.
(Please)

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Janet wrote:
Many moons ago when I was young the definition of a draught was no
rainfall for 2 weeks.

WIWAL, the definition of a draught was a chilly breeze.

Did it stop the snow melting?

We didn't have snow indoors. Shut that door.

Janet

Old 13-06-2012, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
Sacha wrote in
:

snip
[...]

Yes, I remember most of that now from geography(?) lessons when I was at
school. The only bits I posted above were the basic bits I remembered and
found it all interesting. Bearing in mind that in those days I was an
unruly, remedial child because I could not read(dyslexia)and so could not
make notes.

Thanks, Dave R
Baz