Old 18-06-2012, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cherry Blossom Tree

Hi there.

Apart from the conifers I had lopped, they also very heavily pruned a
cherry blossom tree. There are just the main scaffold branches. Looks
quite ugly, whereas it was beautiful but overbearing before.

Do you know how long a heavily pruned cherry blossom tree will take to
come back. I'd just like to see some green on it again. I didn't think
it was going to be pruned so harshly.

Thanks,
Ed.
Old 18-06-2012, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 18, 6:19*pm, Bill wrote:
Hi there.

Apart from the conifers I had lopped, they also very heavily pruned a
cherry blossom tree. There are just the main scaffold branches. Looks
quite ugly, whereas it was beautiful but overbearing before.

Do you know how long a heavily pruned cherry blossom tree will take to
come back. I'd just like to see some green on it again. I didn't think
it was going to be pruned so harshly.

Thanks,
Ed.

You need to treat the cut branches with the waxy stuff to keep the rot
out.
Old 19-06-2012, 12:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
On Jun 18, 6:19*pm, Bill wrote:
Hi there.

Apart from the conifers I had lopped, they also very heavily pruned a
cherry blossom tree. There are just the main scaffold branches. Looks
quite ugly, whereas it was beautiful but overbearing before.

Do you know how long a heavily pruned cherry blossom tree will take to
come back. I'd just like to see some green on it again. I didn't think
it was going to be pruned so harshly.

Thanks,
Ed.

You need to treat the cut branches with the waxy stuff to keep the rot
out.
Current advice is that it's best not to, for fear of sealing stuff in, but instead prune during active growth (as they have).

Don't know how long it takes, but a cherry tree near us had this treatment, and it's now looking wonderful. Just smaller ;-)

Next time you have tree work done, suggest you ask them for full details of exactly what they're going to do, so at the very least it doesn't come as a shock. Easy to be wise after the event :-)