Old 22-06-2012, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Automatic Vent Openers

Noticed mine is at it's full adjustment so obviously the oil inside has
leaked out over the years. This is a special strong one for side opening
windows so it stays shut when cool enough even in strong winds so I would
like to refill it if possible. Does anyone know what sort of oil is used in
these openers and if it's available?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 22-06-2012, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:19:59 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Noticed mine is at it's full adjustment so obviously the oil inside has
leaked out over the years. This is a special strong one for side opening
windows so it stays shut when cool enough even in strong winds so I would
like to refill it if possible. Does anyone know what sort of oil is used in
these openers and if it's available?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

I thought it was some sort of wax rather than oil (i.e. a bit more
solid). My parents had a Bayliss opener, albeit a vertical one, and
when theirs emptied itself they had to buy a new tube. I had a look at
the Bayliss web site (http://www.baylissautovents.co.uk) which says:

Q: Can I get some more liquid to put in my tube?

A: Unfortunately not. If the power tube has lost its liquid, which
is a special blend of mineral wax, it generally means the seals etc
have become worn. If you were to top the tube up, the seals would
still be worn and would still allow the wax to leak out. This would
mean there would not be enough pressure inside the tube to open the
vent.

The Q&A goes on to say that you can buy a replacement tube though.

So you may need to go to your manufacturer and see if you can get the
right spare part.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?
Old 22-06-2012, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Does anyone know what sort of oil is used in
these openers and if it's available?

I seem to recall "paraffin wax," which is a solid used for candles in
American; not the lamp oil described in English. As someone else said, the
seals are likely gone and the openers aren't worth rebuilding.
(So far, mine are working fine.....touch wood!)