Old 04-05-2003, 01:20 PM
chris French

Default New garden project ...

In message , al
writes
I'm hoping for some help/inspiration in creating a new garden.

snip

Anyone any more suggestions or comments on the above? The garden falls to
the NW (i.e.. it's a SE facing rear wall!!) if that helps.

That a better newsgroup might be uk.rec.gardening? (added to the
newsgroups list)

Sounds ok, personally I reckon that large slab on concrete is just
asking for a GH to be erected on it.

And that SE facing wall is asking for a fruit tree or two that
appreciates a bit of extra warmth and TLC - Pears, cherry, fig, grape
vine?
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old 05-05-2003, 12:32 PM
al

"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote in message
But you've snipped all the stuff that would be useful to us!
Now we can't even answer the poor poster's question!

Rhiannon

Here it is: ;o)

I'm hoping for some help/inspiration in creating a new garden. At the
moment we have a patio outside the house and a 15.5m x 8.5m garden below it.
At the far end is an asbestos garage that we're getting rid of. This will
leave a large, flat concreted area (2.4m x 4.3m) that I hope to put to use
rather than breaking up and removing.

We're replacing the broken (and soon to have a garage shaped gap!) back wall
with a fence with a gate in it. There's currently a very ugly straight
concrete path down the one side of the garden to the side of the garage. I
can't think of much to do with it other than remove it and make a new,
probably winding one. The garden slopes gently away from the house.

My idea currently is to scrape up all turf and roots (we had some trees
chopped so it's a pretty tough job). Once that's done I was thinking of
creating a border 2/3 of the way down and laying a new lawn above that
(after leaving the new soil to settle and kill weeds for a bit). Then
putting down a large paved feature where the garage floor remains (something
like http://www.stonemarket.co.uk/millsto...ures.htm#aztec) and
having that line up with a gate in the rear fence and a winding path through
the grass. Either bark chippings or ornate gravel to fill the rest with pot
plants/shrubs filling space - maybe a pond on the shadier side. I'd
probably put flowerbeds either side of the lawn part too.

Old 05-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , al
writes

I'm hoping for some help/inspiration in creating a new garden. At the
moment we have a patio outside the house and a 15.5m x 8.5m garden below it.
At the far end is an asbestos garage that we're getting rid of. This will
leave a large, flat concreted area (2.4m x 4.3m) that I hope to put to use
rather than breaking up and removing.

We're replacing the broken (and soon to have a garage shaped gap!) back wall
with a fence with a gate in it. There's currently a very ugly straight
concrete path down the one side of the garden to the side of the garage. I
can't think of much to do with it other than remove it and make a new,
probably winding one. The garden slopes gently away from the house.

Have a look at
http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder....den/garden.htm

She's starting with a very similar 'blank canvas' - perhaps you could
exchange ideas?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
al

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
Have a look at
http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder....den/garden.htm

She's starting with a very similar 'blank canvas' - perhaps you could
exchange ideas?

Thanks for the link, looks familiar! Might pop her a mail ...