Old 10-07-2012, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment Society produce show

Is this weekend.

Well, I've just eaten this year's crop of gooseberries (all 3 of them) so
unless there is a category for the biggest weight of weeds per square metre
I'm not sure I have anything to enter.

Been away from the allotment for a few weeks because I damaged a knee and
the weeds have grown enormously in that time in the cultivated area.
I found the garlic again last night, and the end of the rows of leeks (still
alive but in hiding), onions (from sets) (also still alive but hiding) and
there are a few cabages peeping out of the weed cover.
So some careful but extensive weeding should hopefully reveal the surviving
vegetables.
The upside (as my allotment neighbour keeps reminding me) is that if the
weeds grow so well then it most be good ground.
The downside is that the garlic (and presumably the onions) has grown leggy
because of all the surrounding weeds.
Hopefull it will firm up now daylight is visible.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 10, 11:07*am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
[...]

Things are pretty poor with me too. Everything is around three weeks
late and poor germination has led to "gappy" rows. Only one apple
tree has any fruit. No pears, peaches apricots, plums, few damsons,
few walnuts.
Beans & peas poor, suspect bad pollination there.
The sweet corn is so far behind, dunno if I'll get anything before the
frost.

Plenty of slugs though. And weeds.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Will anyone have anything decent to show this year?
Haven't been able to get down to my lottie for a week until yesterday - too
much rain. Two hours of weeding - the weeds are growing like ..well..weeds.
Being a newly cleared plot, lots of weeds are taking their opportunity, lots
of sun spurge. Some kind of mallow had almost overtaken the strawberries.
Total harvest yesterday was 3 radishes, 5 pods of peas and 9 potatoes (I
think they have blight on the foliage)
Lettuces are doing well. Runner beans are in flower, dwarf french beans
had a big hit from the golfball sized hailstorm as did the sweetcorn.
Coriander and methi good, also onions, landcress is appearing. Carrots are
everywhere, presumably the seed got washed out from the drills.
Good luck with your knee.