Old 22-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Registered User

Default Hanging Basket Disaster

Hello, I am desperately in need of some help. I had four hanging baskets planted out with petunias and lobelia but they have been wrecked by non gardening builders who took them down and stood them on top of each other in the sun. Sigh.

I need to start again but I don't have access to a garden centre. I can buy plants online but have no idea what would be available right now.

Please could some kind person give me an idea as to what plants could go in now? I don't mind if they don't flower. I live quite near to the sea and it is often pretty windy.

Thank you for reading this anyway!

Regards, Collie
Old 22-07-2012, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 11:53:10 +0000, collie
wrote:

Hello, I am desperately in need of some help. I had four hanging
baskets planted out with petunias and lobelia but they have been wrecked
by non gardening builders who took them down and stood them on top of
each other in the sun. Sigh.

I need to start again but I don't have access to a garden centre. I can
buy plants online but have no idea what would be available right now.

Please could some kind person give me an idea as to what plants could go
in now? I don't mind if they don't flower. I live quite near to the
sea and it is often pretty windy.

Last year when faced with the failure of virtually all the trailing
petunias in two 16 inch baskets (splendid foliage but absolutely no
flowers despite applications of tomato feed) we decided to start
again. All we could find that would be of a single colour, would make
instant impact and given that it was the end of June, was a mix of
trailing and upright pelargoniums.

They were excellent and with regular feeding, lasted well into
October. We live at the top of a hill just over half a mile from the
sea in a quite exposed position.
--
rbel
Old 22-07-2012, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/07/2012 12:53, collie wrote:
Hello, I am desperately in need of some help. I had four hanging
baskets planted out with petunias and lobelia but they have been wrecked
by non gardening builders who took them down and stood them on top of
each other in the sun. Sigh.

I need to start again but I don't have access to a garden centre. I can
buy plants online but have no idea what would be available right now.

Please could some kind person give me an idea as to what plants could go
in now? I don't mind if they don't flower. I live quite near to the
sea and it is often pretty windy.

Thank you for reading this anyway!

Regards, Collie

When did this happen?
Woe long were they stacked for?
It could be that given a good feed and cutting back the damaged stems
they will regrow quite quickly as they should have a good root system.
Otherwise look for Ivy geraniums and you could put a New Guinea
Impatiens in each as a centre piece