Old 23-08-2012, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bush Tomatoes

I was given a couple of bush tomatoe plants (var Amateur) this year.
Never having grown these before, I'm wondering how one goes about
stopping them producing more and more flowers at this time of the year,
as the plants are quite heavily ladened with fruit and more flowers now
are unlikely to swell and ripen before the cold weather.

Any advice appreciated.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 23-08-2012, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote:

I'm wondering how one goes about
stopping them producing more and more flowers at this time of the year,

I'm guessing these are what I've seen called "Dwarf" tomatoes...they're
indeterminate, but don't get much over 3 or 4 feet (a meter) tall. I can
only suggest you break off the flower stalks as they appear, much as people
more organized than I break off the suckers below the flower stalks. If
removed when you spot the buds, I can't imagine the plant is wasting much
energy on them.

For what it's worth, there's a project afoot in the U.S. to cross dwarf
types with old favorite "heirloom" tomatoes to produce something with small
stature and good flavor....anyone interested can look at
www.tomatoville.com.

Old 24-08-2012, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Roger Tonkin wrote:
I was given a couple of bush tomatoe plants (var Amateur) this year.
Never having grown these before, I'm wondering how one goes about
stopping them producing more and more flowers at this time of the year,
as the plants are quite heavily ladened with fruit and more flowers now
are unlikely to swell and ripen before the cold weather.

How big are the tomatoes? All my bush tomatoes have cherry (1" or less)
size tomatoes, and I'm very happily continuing to encourage them to
flower! Typically my tomatoes keep ripening into early or mid November.

Where are you based?