Old 31-08-2012, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default prepping peaches?

Virtually no fruit at all this year except for peaches, which had
already set prior to the 13 May freeze. I thought they would be small
but in fact they are large and juicy, very nice. The variety is a white
one called Madame Girard.

Unfortunately the wife is away for several days, and dog is making
himself very sick with the windfall (I'm sure you can guess what I
mean), and the hornets and boar are rapidly consuming the fruit. So I
think the best thing is to get it into the freezer as quick as I can,
then Adele can turn it into preserves when she gets back.

I reckon there's about 15 kg on the tree, about 2/3 is not soft but not
green either.

Hoping someone can steer me the right way... What's the best way to hold
it for a bit? My thought was to blanch as for tomatoes, skin, cut in
half and bag with sugar. But I don't know if this is a good way to skin
them, or for that matter whether they'll do better uncooked.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

-E

prepping pond for winter tony Ponds 8 08-12-2004 02:08 PM
prepping pond for winter tony Ponds 1 07-12-2004 05:35 PM
prepping pond for winter tony Ponds 0 06-12-2004 11:48 AM
Prepping a neglected garden for next yesr? (central VA) The Other Harry Gardening 3 27-06-2003 05:32 AM
Advice on Peaches Spacewalkman Texas 2 15-04-2003 03:56 PM