Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Mitulove's Avatar
Registered User

Default Red calendula?

I was wandering around Oxford Botanic Garden today, and spotted this plant wth reddish-orange flowers. Of course it had to be the one without the label. I thought it might be some sort of calendula..any ideas? I'd love to grow this particular one if I can find it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Y...I/s640/obg.jpg
Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2012-09-09 21:29:00 +0100, Mitulove
said:

I was wandering around Oxford Botanic Garden today, and spotted this
plant wth reddish-orange flowers. Of course it had to be the one
without the label. I thought it might be some sort of calendula..any
ideas? I'd love to grow this particular one if I can find it.
http://tinyurl.com/9thwyt4

Perhaps some variety of Zinnia?

Yes, Zinnia. The capitula of the "double" flowered garden Zinnias have
distinctive eyes.

I'd entertain the hypothesis that it is Zinnia elegans.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/09/2012 21:29, Mitulove wrote:
I was wandering around Oxford Botanic Garden today, and spotted this
plant wth reddish-orange flowers. Of course it had to be the one
without the label. I thought it might be some sort of calendula..any
ideas? I'd love to grow this particular one if I can find it.

http://tinyurl.com/9thwyt4

I wonder if it could be a Zinnia? Hope this link works:

http://www.hortmag.com/plants/plants...le-fire-zinnia

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London