Old 21-09-2012, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment guide - basic draft 1

I've put this together so far - only a very basic draft.
I am worried it's a big list of "DO NOT ..."

Please throw your comments at it and I'll be redrafting it again in a
couple of days.
I've kept specific numbers out of it shed and greenhouse sizes ...

--
What is an allotment?

An allotment is an area of ground with a site that is yours for the
purposes of growing fruit and vegetables.

There are many questions new plotholders often ask and we've tried to
answer as many as possible here.

Please keep to the paths when you walk round the site. Do not go on
anyone else's plot without permission. You may be walking over
somewhere where weed killer has been sprayed, or may encounter
hazards.
Do not pick anything from any other plot without permission.
Do not take anything from any other plot without permission. If you
want to borrow an item then ask in advance.

Keep your tools secure. This means either taking them home with you,
putting them safely in a shed or in the communal lockup (coming soon!)

Respect the site. Bring on only those items and materials you can
actually use on your plot. Plots should not be used as a rubbish dump
or storage yard.

Take care not to damage fences or entrance ways. These cost lost of
money to repair and are essential for the security of the site.

The paths around the allotment need to be kept clear of tools, rocks,
plants and other hazards. Remove trip hazards from the paths near your
plot. The communal paths should be kept clear so that people can
safely walk around the site.

Site security - keep the gate locked when you come on to the site. It
is easier to keep problems out of the site than try and remove them.
If you have any concerns about any security related matter then speak
to someone. If you see someone breaking into a shed then contact the
police. All thefts and break ins should be reported to the police.

Sheds - the guidelines tell you how big a shed you can have. Do not
exceed this as you will be breaking the site guidelines. Site your
shed as to not shade another plot. This is something very important to
consider. If you need advice or help with this then please ask.

Do not keep anything flammable in your shed. Store chemicals in the
correctly labelled containers. Gas bottles should not be kept in
allotment sheds. The fire service advise that petrol should be safely
stored and protected from vandalism or arson risk - this means not in
your shed here! Take petrol home with you.

Do not make changes to your plot that will impact on other plot
holders.

Please keep your plot safe. Whilst we ask that people don't walk on
other people's plots, it might happen from time to time that someone
strays on to your plot. Keep your plot child, adult and wildlife
friendly at all times.
Be aware of what hazards there might be and avoid them.

Water - we are not planning on having mains water. It is too expensive
to have put on and creates an ongoing bill as well as extra
administration. We are in the process of installing large water
containers to collect rain water.
Do not use hosepipes on site. Water only with a can. You can reduce
the amount you need to water by watering only when needed, applying
water directly to the soil around plants and avoiding watering during
the day when evaporation will reduce the amount going in to the soil.
Use mulches to conserve water too.
Do not use excessive amounts of water for cleaning boots and tools.
Wash tools and boots on your own plot and not in front of the water
containers.
There is a communal watering can available if you do not have one. It
is stored in the cold frame. Please return it after use.

Water barrels are available cheaply locally from Jacques of Greengate.
They are under £10. Collecting your own water from your own shed or
greenhouse will make things easier for you - less distance to walk for
water.

Greenhouses - ensure these are not a hazard - remove and replace
broken glass promptly. Stick to the rules on the maximum size of
greenhouse. It is recommended not to use small plastic greenhouses as
these are usually refered to as 'flyaways' as they are very easily
buffeted by strong winds and will blow away across other plots causing
damage to other people's plants and property.

There is a rotavator for hire. The rules for use of this are available
separately. The charge is £5 and bring your own petrol. It uses normal
petrol.

It is hoped that your plot will be 100% cultivated as soon as
possible. The average amount of time needed for a full allotment plot
is probably about 10 hours a week.
If you do not stay on top of your weeds then they will soon become a
nuisance to other plot holders and if this is the case we will send
you a letter about it asking you to sort this out.
Cutting grass does not mean that your plot is cultivated. If you can
not spare time for your plot then discuss the options for having a
smaller plot that will be more manageable.

Please compost all your green waste.
Even perennial weeds can be composted. There is no space anywhere else
on site for dumping waste so please deal with it on your own plot. If
you want composting advice then please ask.

If you dig it up then you're responsible for it. If you uncover glass
or other rubbish then please remove it from the site - take it home
with you and put it in your own bin. Glass will not break down so it
is essential to remove it from site.

If you find lots of rocks then store these on your plot in a pile -
they are useful to other plot holders for various purposes.

Communal tidy days - whilst these are voluntary they are essential for
keeping communal areas weed free and tidy. If you are unable to come
on specified days then please speak to someone about helping out prior
to the day.

Apiary - don't go inside the apiary. Avoid wearing fur, dark clothing,
and smelling of beer or perfume as this can upset the bees. If you see
a large number of bees leaving the hives then please contact one of
the beekeepers on …

Weed killers - please avoid using weed killers on site. If you do want
to use them then follow the instructions correct, avoid spraying on
windy days and do not use any chemicals that are harmful to bees or
chickens.

We are not allowed bonfires on site.

If you want to give up your plot, or reduce the size of plot you have
then please speak to a committee member as soon as possible.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 21-09-2012, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
[...]

That is excellent! Thanks for posting. One day, when I can get an
allotment ...

--

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 21-09-2012, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mogga wrote:
Take care not to damage fences or entrance ways. These cost lost of
money to repair and are essential for the security of the site.

Typo alert!

Old 21-09-2012, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Sep 2012 10:28:07 GMT, wrote:

mogga wrote:
Take care not to damage fences or entrance ways. These cost lost of
money to repair and are essential for the security of the site.

Typo alert!

Ta chuck!

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 21-09-2012, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:ac2tpnFe8htU1
@mid.individual.net:

mogga wrote:
Take care not to damage fences or entrance ways. These cost lost of
money to repair and are essential for the security of the site.

Typo alert!

You must be a poof reader to spot that!

Baz

Old 21-09-2012, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote ((Big Snip))

I've put this together so far - only a very basic draft.
I am worried it's a big list of "DO NOT ..."

If this is a Council owned site then they will have their own list of don'ts
too, do make sure you are not contradicting their rules.
Not all perennial weeds can be safely composted on an allotment, bindweed
roots come to mind, so suggest such is taken to the Council Tip or put in
their own home dustbins.
Sheds are a bane of my life, we had no vandalism or break-ins until new
gardeners all started putting up sheds. They are like a magnet to the
villains and we now get regular visits from them. A small trailer is much
more sensible, often cheaper, and can be used for carting manure too.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-09-2012, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Allotment guide - basic draft 2

What is an allotment?

Some ammendments made:

(Is the last paragraph a bit contraversial?)

An allotment is an area of ground with a site that is yours for the
purposes of growing fruit and vegetables.

There are many questions new plotholders often ask and we've tried to
answer as many as possible here.

The guidance contained in this booklet is written to go along side all
the rules and regulations that we have in the constitution.

Whilst the burden of rules may seem ominous they are designed to
ensure a good working relationship between plot holders.

Please keep to the paths when you walk round the site. Do not go on
anyone else's plot without permission. You may be walking over
somewhere where weed killer has been sprayed, or may encounter
hazards.
Do not pick anything from any other plot without permission.
Do not take anything from any other plot without permission. If you
want to borrow an item then ask in advance.

Keep your tools secure. This means either taking them home with you,
putting them safely in a shed or in the communal lockup (coming soon!)

Respect the site. Bring on only those items and materials you can
actually use on your plot. Plots should not be used as a rubbish dump
or storage yard.

Take care not to damage fences or entrance ways. These cost lots of
money to repair and are essential for the security of the site.

The paths around the allotment need to be kept clear of tools, rocks,
plants and other hazards. Remove trip hazards from the paths near your
plot. The communal paths should be kept clear so that people can
safely walk around the site.

Site security - keep the gate locked when you come on to the site. It
is easier to keep problems out of the site than try and remove them.
If you have any concerns about any security related matter then speak
to someone. If you see someone breaking into a shed then contact the
police. All thefts and break ins should be reported to the police.

Gates - there are drop holes for putting the gate bolts in - please
use them when you open the gate to bring a car in as the gate can move
in the wind. Also please put both down when you lock up.

Keys - if you lose your key please let us know. Don't let anyone copy
your key.

[...]

If you discover a leak from any of the water containers please
urgently contact a committee member.

Water barrels are available cheaply locally from Jacques of Greengate.
They are under £10. Collecting your own water from your own shed or
greenhouse will make things easier for you - less distance to walk for
water.

Greenhouses - ensure these are not a hazard - remove and replace
broken glass promptly. Stick to the rules on the maximum size of
greenhouse. It is recommended not to use small plastic greenhouses as
these are usually refered to as 'flyaways' as they are very easily
buffeted by strong winds and will blow away across other plots causing
damage to other people's plants and property.

There is a rotavator for hire. The rules for use of this are available
separately. The charge for a session is £5 and you must bring your own
petrol. It uses normal petrol.

It is hoped that your plot will be 100% cultivated as soon as
possible. The average amount of time needed for a full allotment plot
is probably about 10 hours a week.
If you do not stay on top of your weeds then they will soon become a
nuisance to other plot holders and if this is the case we will send
you a letter about it asking you to sort this out.
Cutting grass does not mean that your plot is cultivated. If you can
not spare time for your plot then discuss the options for having a
smaller plot that will be more manageable.

Please compost all your green waste.
Even perennial weeds can be composted. There is no space anywhere else
on site for dumping waste so please deal with it on your own plot. If
you want composting advice then please ask.
If you are concerned about some perennial roots then dry them out
thoroughly, or rot them down in a black bag before composting them.
For small quantities of roots like bindweed you might find that taking
them to the tip or putting them in your dustbin at home is acceptable.
Larger quantities of weeds should be composted on your plot though -
each time you remove material you are taking away potential compost
from your plot.

If you dig it up then you're responsible for it. If you uncover glass
or other rubbish then please remove it from the site - take it home
with you and put it in your own bin. Glass will not break down so it
is essential to remove it from site.
If you find asbestos then please stop digging and notify someone from
the committee immediately. Asbestos needs careful removal as it is a
health risk. There shouldn't be any on our site but if in doubt ask.

If you find lots of rocks then store these on your plot in a pile -
they are useful to other plot holders for various purposes.

Communal tidy days - whilst these are voluntary they are essential for
keeping communal areas weed free and tidy. If you are unable to come
on specified days then please speak to someone about helping out prior
to the day.

Apiary - don't go inside the apiary. Avoid wearing fur, dark clothing,
and smelling of beer or perfume as this can upset the bees. If you see
a large number of bees leaving the hives then please contact one of
the beekeepers using the numbers on the notice board.

Weed killers - please avoid using weed killers on site. If you do want
to use them then follow the instructions correct, avoid spraying on
windy days and do not use any chemicals that are harmful to bees or
chickens.

We are not allowed bonfires on site.

If you want to give up your plot, or reduce the size of plot you have
then please speak to a committee member as soon as possible.
If you have friends who are interested in putting their name on the
waiting list then please ask them down to the site to meet other plot
holders and show them the site.

If you are going away and would like particular plants watered then
please feel free to ask another plot holder.

Parking - please do not block the road way to the allotment at any
time. There is a car park on site to use. Please park sensibly.

There are a couple of plot holders who have trailers. Please speak to
them if you need a large item bringing to site as they may be able to
help.

If you like to have the radio on then please be considerate of other
people who might not like your music choice. Headphones can help
prevent problems arising.

Please do not cut down trees around the edges of the site without
discussing it with the committee first.

Dogs and children - some people come to their allotment for peace and
quiet. Excessive noise on the allotment may upset other plot holders
and neither dogs or children should be allowed to run free around the
site.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 21-09-2012, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:31:33 +0100, mogga
wrote:

I haven't interfered with your style, but I spotted a few oddments you
might want to change.

What is an allotment?

Some ammendments made:

Not in the text itself, I know; but one "m".

(Is the last paragraph a bit contraversial?)

Not in my opinion. You might also mention that it's the owner's
responsibility to clear up dog mess.

"contrOversial".

An allotment is an area of ground with a site that is yours for the
purposes of growing fruit and vegetables.

Isn't the site the whole thing, while the individual plot is the
allotment?

There are many questions new plotholders often ask and we've tried to
answer as many as possible here.

The guidance contained in this booklet is written to go along side all

"alongside"

the rules and regulations that we have in the constitution.

Whilst the burden of rules may seem ominous they are designed to
ensure a good working relationship between plot holders.

"onerous", not "ominous", of course.

[...]

Parking - please do not block the road way to the allotment at any

"roadway"

time. There is a car park on site to use. Please park sensibly.

There are a couple of plot holders who have trailers. Please speak to
them if you need a large item bringing

"brought"
to site as they may be able to
help.

[...]

Dogs and children - some people come to their allotment for peace and
quiet. Excessive noise on the allotment may upset other plot holders
and neither dogs or children should be allowed to run free around the
site.

HTH
--
Mike.

Old 22-09-2012, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Sheds are a bane of my life, we had no vandalism or break-ins until
new gardeners all started putting up sheds. They are like a magnet to
the villains and we now get regular visits from them. A small trailer
is much more sensible, often cheaper, and can be used for carting
manure too.

On the site where I have just acquired a half allotment there are brick
buildings, which they let instead of allowing sheds to be erected on the
plots. Look like a few rows of toilets. The wooden doors are regularly
broken open despite the whole allotment site being enclosed by a 3m high
fence. Very sturdy gates too with very sturdy locks. Makes me wonder who
has a key to these locks who should not have them.
Despite this, and having 2 of 3 allotments re-claimed, one chap has moved
his 10' by 8' shed to his legal plot. I must admit it is not near my plot,
but who gives permission?
Rules are rules, for one, and not the other it seems.
I aim to change that for these unfriendly, obnoxious people.

Baz