Old 23-09-2012, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ant hills in Lawn

Hi,

My lawn has a number of bald patches where ants have been churning up the
earth (I presume it's ants as they coming swarming out whenever I mow). Do I
need to treat these with ant killer to stop the same problem next year or
can I assume the ants will move on and just put some Patch-Magic or resow to
regenerate them?

Cheers

Old 23-09-2012, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Endulini wrote:

My lawn has a number of bald patches where ants have been churning up the
earth (I presume it's ants as they coming swarming out whenever I mow). Do I
need to treat these with ant killer to stop the same problem next year or
can I assume the ants will move on and just put some Patch-Magic or resow to
regenerate them?

None of the above. Ignore them. The only way to eliminate ants is
to concrete the whole garden over, and even that may not do it if
there is even the slightest crack that would allow them into your
house or some other food supply. Even if you killed those nests,
others would move in.

Ants are an essential part of the ecology and are common in lawns.
Brush the soil around, and the grass will recover, or resow and it
may recover faster.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-09-2012, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Endulini wrote:

My lawn has a number of bald patches where ants have been churning up the
earth (I presume it's ants as they coming swarming out whenever I mow). Do
need to treat these with ant killer to stop the same problem next year or
can I assume the ants will move on and just put some Patch-Magic or resow
regenerate them?

Cut weekly to stop the anthill building up

Old 28-09-2012, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 08:48:41 +0100, "pied piper"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Endulini wrote:

My lawn has a number of bald patches where ants have been churning up the
earth (I presume it's ants as they coming swarming out whenever I mow). Do
need to treat these with ant killer to stop the same problem next year or
can I assume the ants will move on and just put some Patch-Magic or resow
regenerate them?

Cut weekly to stop the anthill building up

Bob Flowerdew on GQT has more than once suggested this organic method
of dealing with ants. I cannot vouch for it's efficacy as I don't
have a lawn!
Where there is an ant colony, get some clean, empty tins (eg baked
bean tins). Invert them over the ant activity.
He says that the ants will take their larvae up to the highest,
darkest place, such as the tin. Then you go out and retrieve the tin
of ant larvae and feed it to your goldfish, or your hens, or otherwise
dispose or them.
Has anyone tried this?

Pam in Bristol
Old 30-09-2012, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 28, 3:04*pm, Martin wrote:
Heavy rain drowns the little burgers. Heineken poisons them.

oh steady on.

Who in their right mind buys Heineken?

Ant "Hills" In Grass Mike United Kingdom 1 02-05-2004 09:08 PM
Flies That Live in Ant Hills? Go Away! RJT Gardening 5 26-07-2003 01:42 AM
Green Hills Lawn/Austin Lawn Service Texas 0 17-06-2003 03:56 AM
Black Hills Spruce Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 20-05-2003 10:32 PM
Crawfish hills animal333 Gardening 8 18-04-2003 06:08 PM