Old 21-10-2012, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default What to do with gladioli

After all my dahlias rotted in the ground over winter last year, I have
made an effort to dig up and store any summer bulbs that I have found
as I have been going along, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with
the gladioli. Some of them are still flowering, and a lot are still
with green leaf. Do I pull them and leave them to dry out a bit then
chop the leaves off, or leave them in the ground, or what?

I pulled up 3 bulbs this weekend - 1 from Benjamin's plot, which is
about the size it went in, and 2 from the blueberry "really lovely
soil" patch, which are 3 times the size, and have a whole crop of
bulblets hanging off them!!

Old 21-10-2012, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:

After all my dahlias rotted in the ground over winter last year, I have
made an effort to dig up and store any summer bulbs that I have found
as I have been going along, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with
the gladioli. Some of them are still flowering, and a lot are still
with green leaf. Do I pull them and leave them to dry out a bit then
chop the leaves off, or leave them in the ground, or what?

The only ones I grow are Byzantine, and they have naturalised
themselves.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-10-2012, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Oct 2012 14:03:06 GMT, wrote:

After all my dahlias rotted in the ground over winter last year, I have
made an effort to dig up and store any summer bulbs that I have found
as I have been going along, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with
the gladioli. Some of them are still flowering, and a lot are still
with green leaf. Do I pull them and leave them to dry out a bit then
chop the leaves off, or leave them in the ground, or what?

I pulled up 3 bulbs this weekend - 1 from Benjamin's plot, which is
about the size it went in, and 2 from the blueberry "really lovely
soil" patch, which are 3 times the size, and have a whole crop of
bulblets hanging off them!!

I always lift dahlias as they're fairly close to the surface but my
gladioli were planted years ago about 6 inches deep and I've never
lifted them. If deep they stand up better and are below the frost
penetration level.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 21-10-2012, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote

After all my dahlias rotted in the ground over winter last year, I have
made an effort to dig up and store any summer bulbs that I have found
as I have been going along, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with
the gladioli. Some of them are still flowering, and a lot are still
with green leaf. Do I pull them and leave them to dry out a bit then
chop the leaves off, or leave them in the ground, or what?

I pulled up 3 bulbs this weekend - 1 from Benjamin's plot, which is
about the size it went in, and 2 from the blueberry "really lovely
soil" patch, which are 3 times the size, and have a whole crop of
bulblets hanging off them!!

I leave them in, they even seem to naturalise if they like the position.
Over the years they have moved around our sunny front garden and come up
everywhere, a bit like the cyclamen.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-10-2012, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

The Original Jake wrote:
I pulled up 3 bulbs this weekend - 1 from Benjamin's plot, which is
about the size it went in, and 2 from the blueberry "really lovely
soil" patch, which are 3 times the size, and have a whole crop of
bulblets hanging off them!!

I always lift dahlias as they're fairly close to the surface but my
gladioli were planted years ago about 6 inches deep and I've never
lifted them. If deep they stand up better and are below the frost
penetration level.

Cheers. That's pretty much what my neighbour just said. Oh well.
I may go replant these a bit deeper. in with the blueberries. :-)

Gladioli Bulb Question M United Kingdom 1 04-03-2006 09:18 PM
Harvesting gladioli (and other bulb flowers) JB United Kingdom 4 25-01-2006 07:31 AM
Gladioli Robert United Kingdom 4 04-09-2005 01:20 PM
Gladioli in fflower Pam Moore United Kingdom 6 28-07-2004 05:04 PM
Gladioli in fflower Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 25-07-2004 09:47 AM