Old 21-10-2012, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Orchid Question

Hello Everyone,

In May, I bought three Dienia ophrys 'Frisky' (Syn.: Malaxa latifolia
'Frisky'). I bought them in flower and kept them flowering, and in good
health since. They have built up both strong leafy growth and 'bulbs'
for next year. Now, one or two leaves are yellowing. I'm not too
worried about this as I understand they are deciduous. However, despite
searching on line and through my many books, I cannot find any
substantial cultivation instructions. The ones given with the plant are
extremely limited.

Do I cease watering them .. now or later ..? I imagine I must stop
feeding them? Should they be allowed to rest dry, like Pleiones, then
restarted into growth in spring, or kept barely moist?? What
over-winter temps and light do they prefer?

I would appreciate any help/clues.
Thanks.
--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 21-10-2012, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote
In May, I bought three Dienia ophrys 'Frisky' (Syn.: Malaxa latifolia
'Frisky'). I bought them in flower and kept them flowering, and in good
health since. They have built up both strong leafy growth and 'bulbs' for
next year. Now, one or two leaves are yellowing. I'm not too worried
about this as I understand they are deciduous. However, despite searching
on line and through my many books, I cannot find any substantial
cultivation instructions. The ones given with the plant are extremely
limited.

Do I cease watering them .. now or later ..? I imagine I must stop feeding
them? Should they be allowed to rest dry, like Pleiones, then restarted
into growth in spring, or kept barely moist?? What over-winter temps and
light do they prefer?

It's Dienia ophrydis (syn, Maxalis ophrydis)

From my books...

"Malaxis species

Culture.

Winter min. 15°C . While growing Malaxis species require humid, shady
conditions and should be well watered. When growth is complete, after
flowering, pseudobulbous species lose their leaves and should be kept much
drier. Other species should not become very dry. "

Hope that helps. It's rather rare too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-10-2012, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/10/2012 19:00, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote
In May, I bought three Dienia ophrys 'Frisky' (Syn.: Malaxa latifolia
'Frisky'). I bought them in flower and kept them flowering, and in
good health since. They have built up both strong leafy growth and
'bulbs' for next year. Now, one or two leaves are yellowing. I'm not
too worried about this as I understand they are deciduous. However,
despite searching on line and through my many books, I cannot find any
substantial cultivation instructions. The ones given with the plant
are extremely limited.

Do I cease watering them .. now or later ..? I imagine I must stop
feeding them? Should they be allowed to rest dry, like Pleiones, then
restarted into growth in spring, or kept barely moist?? What
over-winter temps and light do they prefer?

It's Dienia ophrydis (syn, Maxalis ophrydis)

From my books...

"Malaxis species

Culture.

Winter min. 15°C . While growing Malaxis species require humid, shady
conditions and should be well watered. When growth is complete, after
flowering, pseudobulbous species lose their leaves and should be kept
much drier. Other species should not become very dry. "

Hope that helps. It's rather rare too.

Thank you so much, Bob! Yes, that helps. I watered mine about ten days
ago, so I'll let them dry out a bit now and keep an eye on them.
Maybe keep them a bit cooler, too.
Thanks again.