Old 23-10-2012, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grape variety recommends

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 Emery Davis wrote:

On 10/23/2012 04:51 PM, David Rance wrote:

2. Seyval Blanc - I was given some cuttings of this back in 1976 by
someone who had a vineyard in Wales. Those were the early days of the
viticulture revival in Britain and was one of the two main grape
varieties grown then (the other was Muller-Thurgau). Pros: it's a hybrid
and is not susceptible to mildew or any other disease in my experience.
Cons: none. However it does ripen later in late September/October and
produces a much fresher wine. For this reason many vineyards in the UK
use it for producing sparkling wine. It is *very* prolific.

I take it you mean it's very acidic?

Er well, yes!

I guess this is virtually unknown
in France... It seems to be a V. labrusca cross perhaps? (Wiki says it
has non-vinifera genes). That would make it illegal to call the wine
"wine" in the EU I believe! (Not that it would stop me, mind).

No, Wine from the Seyval grape can't be a quality wine. It was developed
(I think) in Switzerland but is hardly seen on the continent, probably
for the reason you mention. It's used a lot in England and, to some
extent, in America.

Whereabouts are you?

A little south of you, in the Orne. Just south of Argentan in the foret
d'Ecouves. Our problem is that the soil is pretty acidic, but I gather
vines like chalk.

Yes, they do. Particularly a chalky, flinty soil. In fact Seyval won't
fertilise unless it *is* grown on a chalky soil. Such a malady is known
as "coulure".

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 23-10-2012, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 clematis.. wrote:

"David Rance" wrote in message
news

Just out of interest, what pruning method do *you* practise?

Exactly the same as the French mentioned above... after all, it's where I
learned to grow grapes, harvest them and turn them into wine!
Albeit on a *commercial* scale.... also like you, over about 25 years.

Ah well, if I am in the presence of a professional then I bow to your
superior knowledge! ;-)

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 23-10-2012, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/23/2012 10:12 PM, David Rance wrote:
Our problem is that the soil is pretty acidic, but I gather
vines like chalk.

Yes, they do. Particularly a chalky, flinty soil. In fact Seyval won't
fertilise unless it *is* grown on a chalky soil. Such a malady is known
as "coulure".

Yes, I've heard of coulure, vaguely. Any tips for vines that will do
well at at pH 5 - 5.5?

Old 24-10-2012, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 Emery Davis wrote:

Our problem is that the soil is pretty acidic, but I gather
vines like chalk.

Yes, they do. Particularly a chalky, flinty soil. In fact Seyval won't
fertilise unless it *is* grown on a chalky soil. Such a malady is known
as "coulure".

Yes, I've heard of coulure, vaguely. Any tips for vines that will do
well at at pH 5 - 5.5?

Well, my experience is limited to those varieties that I grow so I can't
give you a balanced opinion. But, of those I grow, all do well on acid
soil. As I mentioned to Charlie a day or two ago, the Vigo vine
catalogue does give very valuable information on such things.
Unfortunately I can't find my copy now but a new one for next season
should be out soon.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 24-10-2012, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello All

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:
On 10/23/2012 04:51 PM, David Rance wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 Emery Davis wrote:

David, what varieties are you growing, you have vines both in the UK and
Normandy, I believe? What does well for you?

BIG SNIP

[]
We're 30 miles south of Caen. I wouldn't try to grow black grapes
seriously at our latitude because they will never mature well enough to
produce a good red. Some vineyards in England claim to do it but I am
suspicious of their methods. But Chasselas and, I guess, Chenin blanc,
will do well in Calvados. Whereabouts are you?

In East Anglia I bought "Rondo" from Shawsgate (One of our local vineyards),
They use it to produce a very drinkable red wine, and I have had quite good
results with it. It has cropped this year, but not brilliantly.

However it did much better than Muller Thurgau which had no crop at all.

A little south of you, in the Orne. Just south of Argentan in the foret
d'Ecouves. Our problem is that the soil is pretty acidic, but I gather
vines like chalk. I'd like to plant a couple of rows eventually, maybe
2 or 3 varieties.

-E

John

--
John Rye
Hadleigh IPSWICH England
Old 25-10-2012, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote

Our small veg area has remained fallow all year as yet again we are too
busy at the wrong time to be successful veg growers, we do however do
well with fruit so are planning a small area of grapes for wine making.
I am after some suggestions for an early ripening (cool summers here)
grape variety and suggestions for suppliers of plants.

The grapes we have are not suitable for wine making (Black Hamburg) or
too late ripening (Muscat of Alexandria)

Why not have a word with Camel Valley Wines, they can't be too far from
you and they make award winning wines.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

They seem to use a Pinot Blanco making sparkling white wines, this seems to
be a sport of Pinot Noir, sounds like a possibility

They actually produce more than their award winning sparkling white and have
the following grape varieties....

Bacchus,
Seyval Blanc,
Pinot Noir,
Reichensteiner,
Dornfelder,
Rondo,
Chardonnay.

Decide what sort of wine you want to end up with and take a drive over there
and ask their suggestions.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup