Old 09-11-2012, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default John Humphreys

Did you hear on the Radio that John Humphreys is in trouble with his
local council? He has been helping himself to bags of leaves that
have been gathered up and piled in the street for collection, to be
taken away and incinerated. He is emptying the leaves onto his large
compost heap! He says some of the leaves are his anyway!!!
Apparently the council now incinerate the leaves because they have
been gathered in the street and are not suitable for composting!
Good for him I say, though perhaps he should go and gather upthe
leaves rather than letting the council do the job.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-11-2012, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2012 16:52, Pam Moore wrote:
Did you hear on the Radio that John Humphreys is in trouble with his
local council? He has been helping himself to bags of leaves that
have been gathered up and piled in the street for collection, to be
taken away and incinerated. He is emptying the leaves onto his large
compost heap! He says some of the leaves are his anyway!!!
Apparently the council now incinerate the leaves because they have
been gathered in the street and are not suitable for composting!
Good for him I say, though perhaps he should go and gather upthe
leaves rather than letting the council do the job.

Pam in Bristol

I was watching the leaf collecting in our local park this morning. At
least six people with blowers, a tractor towing some kind of leaf
collector, and another tractor pulling the storage enclosure. I think
that was going to be hooked up to some other vehicle for transportation.
All seems a bit OTT in the current climate
Old 09-11-2012, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Did you hear on the Radio that John Humphreys is in trouble with his
local council? He has been helping himself to bags of leaves that
have been gathered up and piled in the street for collection, to be
taken away and incinerated. He is emptying the leaves onto his large
compost heap! He says some of the leaves are his anyway!!!
Apparently the council now incinerate the leaves because they have
been gathered in the street and are not suitable for composting!
Good for him I say, though perhaps he should go and gather upthe
leaves rather than letting the council do the job.

Oooops, I've been collecting leaves off the street this week for leaf mold.
Pete C

Old 10-11-2012, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in
o.uk:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Did you hear on the Radio that John Humphreys is in trouble with his
local council? He has been helping himself to bags of leaves that
have been gathered up and piled in the street for collection, to be
taken away and incinerated. He is emptying the leaves onto his large
compost heap! He says some of the leaves are his anyway!!!
Apparently the council now incinerate the leaves because they have
been gathered in the street and are not suitable for composting!
Good for him I say, though perhaps he should go and gather upthe
leaves rather than letting the council do the job.

Oooops, I've been collecting leaves off the street this week for leaf
mold. Pete C

Oopps too.
Why waste them? A composters dream is autumn. John Humphreys is stealing
what? Leaves? It proves to me that even famous people can have a compost
heap to do the garden well. Thumbs up to him. Well done Humphrey I say.

Baz
Old 10-11-2012, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Oopps too.
Why waste them? A composters dream is autumn. John Humphreys is stealing
what? Leaves? It proves to me that even famous people can have a compost
heap to do the garden well. Thumbs up to him. Well done Humphrey I say.

Baz

The only problem I can see is IF they contain Ash leaves and IF those
leaves are infected with die back fungus...................

Old 10-11-2012, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
Oopps too.
Why waste them? A composters dream is autumn. John Humphreys is stealing
what? Leaves? It proves to me that even famous people can have a compost
heap to do the garden well. Thumbs up to him. Well done Humphrey I say.

The only problem I can see is IF they contain Ash leaves and IF those
leaves are infected with die back fungus...................

Not likely to be a problem. The evidence is that it is a wind-borne
disease, and the only ones that matter are soil-borne ones with
durable spores.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

The only problem I can see is IF they contain Ash leaves and IF those
leaves are infected with die back fungus...................

Not likely to be a problem. The evidence is that it is a wind-borne
disease, and the only ones that matter are soil-borne ones with
durable spores.

It might be a good idea if they stopped importing all plants from
infected areas. Having said that the spores can travel as much as 30
km they now claim they are being blown across the North Sea a distance
of at 200km.

Even if stopping imports had been done in time, it wouldn't have
worked. The distribution is strongly indicative of it being wind-
borne for hundreds of kilometres. Actually, a wind-borne fungus
parasite that is carried only tens of kilometres is implausible,
though the amount carried will drop off rapidly with distance.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Did you hear on the Radio that John Humphreys is in trouble with his
local council? He has been helping himself to bags of leaves that
have been gathered up and piled in the street for collection, to be
taken away and incinerated. He is emptying the leaves onto his large
compost heap! He says some of the leaves are his anyway!!!
Apparently the council now incinerate the leaves because they have
been gathered in the street and are not suitable for composting!
Good for him I say, though perhaps he should go and gather up the
leaves rather than letting the council do the job.

Pam in Bristol

I'm in trouble too then. I always clear the leaves from the council owned
forecourt outside my gate. They never do!

Mike

Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The only problem I can see is IF they contain Ash leaves and IF those
leaves are infected with die back fungus...................

Not likely to be a problem. The evidence is that it is a wind-borne
disease, and the only ones that matter are soil-borne ones with
durable spores.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I am still trying to work out just what you are saying.
"It's wind borne"
Yes
"The only ones that matter are soil-borne ones with durable spores".
If they are soil borne then they are not likely to wind borne.
If the leaves have spores on them then they would stay dormant till
spring/ summer.
I have seen nothing to say where the spores enter the plant through the
root, or what.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:

I am still trying to work out just what you are saying.
"It's wind borne"
Yes
"The only ones that matter are soil-borne ones with durable spores".
If they are soil borne then they are not likely to wind borne.

Usually.

If the leaves have spores on them then they would stay dormant till
spring/ summer.

Only if they are durable - not all are.

I have seen nothing to say where the spores enter the plant through the
root, or what.

I have. The evidence is that it is the leaves. However, it is not
yet fully understood.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Apparently the council now incinerate the leaves because they have
been gathered in the street and are not suitable for composting!
Pam in Bristol

I wouldn't have thought burning them would help the Global Warming lobby!

Bill

Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 16:52:53 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

Did you hear on the Radio that John Humphreys is in trouble with his
local council? He has been helping himself to bags of leaves that
have been gathered up and piled in the street for collection, to be
taken away and incinerated. He is emptying the leaves onto his large
compost heap! He says some of the leaves are his anyway!!!
Apparently the council now incinerate the leaves because they have
been gathered in the street and are not suitable for composting!
Good for him I say, though perhaps he should go and gather upthe
leaves rather than letting the council do the job.

I wouldn't want them myself. Too much dog mess and litter amongst the
leaves around here.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ken Ken is offline

On Friday, November 9, 2012 4:52:35 PM UTC, Pam Moore wrote:
Did you hear on the Radio that John Humphreys is in trouble with his

local council? He has been helping himself to bags of leaves that

have been gathered up and piled in the street for collection, to be

taken away and incinerated. He is emptying the leaves onto his large

compost heap! He says some of the leaves are his anyway!!!

Apparently the council now incinerate the leaves because they have

been gathered in the street and are not suitable for composting!

Good for him I say, though perhaps he should go and gather upthe

leaves rather than letting the council do the job.

Pam in Bristol

As long as he is not being investigated for kiddie fiddling he has little to worry about...........
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/11/2012 17:46, Sue wrote:

As regards using fallen leaves in streets and parks - do councils want
to reduce costs and get people to recycle more stuff or not? They're
always on at everyone to compost as much at home as possible. There must
be more serious problems to worry their little jobsworth heads about
than a few folk making some leaf mould from trees they paid for
themselves via the rates.

Probably some jobsworth who is afraid someone will pick up a disease
from any dog faeces in the leaf litter and sue the council. The UK is
health and safety / litigation mad.