Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mistletoe, some photos.

After our conversation about mistletoe I went out today and took some photos
of some so those who don't have it locally know what to look for when they
are travelling about in the winter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632492269139/

These photos were taking in one small area but mistletoe is all around here,
even on some small rowans.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 11-01-2013, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
After our conversation about mistletoe I went out today and took some
photos of some so those who don't have it locally know what to look for
when they are travelling about in the winter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632492269139/

These photos were taking in one small area but mistletoe is all around
here, even on some small rowans.

Lovely pics! Thanks for sharing
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 11-01-2013, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 16:11:07 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

After our conversation about mistletoe I went out today and took some
photos of some so those who don't have it locally know what to look for
when they are travelling about in the winter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632492269139/

These photos were taking in one small area but mistletoe is all around
here, even on some small rowans.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Lovely 'moody' photos, Bob! We see quite a lot of misletoe when we
drive the motorway through Somerset and I wonder if the occasional (!)
flooding round that area has anything to do with it. In the past, in
another garden, I've tried pushing misletoe berries into the branches
of an old apple tree to no avail, so maybe it's fussier than one would
imagine for a parasitical plant.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Old 11-01-2013, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/01/2013 17:37, Sacha wrote:
On 2013-01-11 16:11:07 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

[...]

Did you try pushing it in a small slit on the underside of the branch?

--

Jeff
Old 11-01-2013, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

After our conversation about mistletoe I went out today and took some photos
of some so those who don't have it locally know what to look for when they
are travelling about in the winter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632492269139/

These photos were taking in one small area but mistletoe is all around here,
even on some small rowans.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Nice photo's. I think IMG_0026 looks as if there is
more mistletoe than tree!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...

Bob Hobden said:

After our conversation about mistletoe I went out today and took some
photos of some so those who don't have it locally know what to look for
when they are travelling about in the winter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632492269139/

These photos were taking in one small area but mistletoe is all around
here, even on some small rowans.

Lovely 'moody' photos, Bob! We see quite a lot of mistletoe when we drive
the motorway through Somerset and I wonder if the occasional (!) flooding
round that area has anything to do with it. In the past, in another garden,
I've tried pushing mistletoe berries into the branches of an old apple tree
to no avail, so maybe it's fussier than one would imagine for a parasitical
plant.

The bird that does the best "seeding" of mistletoe is the Blackcap, it does
not swallow the seeds but squeezes them out and wipes them off on a branch.
Other birds eat the seeds too (Mistle Thrush) and then it's pot luck if they
land on a branch, few will. So if you have Blackcaps in your area, we have
because I see one daily in our garden, and fruiting mistletoe, it will get
spread by them. If you are missing one or other there is little chance.

How to grow...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...w-to-grow.html

I understand mistletoe is spreading and wonder if this is due to the
migrating Blackcaps that come here now for the winter from Northern Europe,
it's a newish migration route as they all used to fly South.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote
says...

After our conversation about mistletoe I went out today and took some
photos
of some so those who don't have it locally know what to look for when
they
are travelling about in the winter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632492269139/

These photos were taking in one small area but mistletoe is all around
here,
even on some small rowans.

Nice photo's. I think IMG_0026 looks as if there is
more mistletoe than tree!

For the unobservant it's probably just another evergreen tree, I've seen
others like that and even more so round about. If I remember correctly there
is one at Claremont Lake (NT).
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 16:11:07 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

[...]

No. I hadn't heard of any refinements as to treatment so I just cut a
tiny slit on top of a branch and shoved it in. If it's that fussy, it
doesn't deserve my efforts! ;-)
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Old 12-01-2013, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-11 23:43:36 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote ...

Bob Hobden said:

After our conversation about mistletoe I went out today and took some
photos of some so those who don't have it locally know what to look for
when they are travelling about in the winter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632492269139/

These photos were taking in one small area but mistletoe is all around
here, even on some small rowans.

Lovely 'moody' photos, Bob! We see quite a lot of mistletoe when we
drive the motorway through Somerset and I wonder if the occasional (!)
flooding round that area has anything to do with it. In the past, in
another garden, I've tried pushing mistletoe berries into the branches
of an old apple tree to no avail, so maybe it's fussier than one would
imagine for a parasitical plant.

The bird that does the best "seeding" of mistletoe is the Blackcap, it
does not swallow the seeds but squeezes them out and wipes them off on
a branch. Other birds eat the seeds too (Mistle Thrush) and then it's
pot luck if they land on a branch, few will. So if you have Blackcaps
in your area, we have because I see one daily in our garden, and
fruiting mistletoe, it will get spread by them. If you are missing one
or other there is little chance.

How to grow...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...w-to-grow.html

I understand mistletoe is spreading and wonder if this is due to the
migrating Blackcaps that come here now for the winter from Northern
Europe, it's a newish migration route as they all used to fly South.

We're doomed
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

How to kill Mistletoe in oak trees? [email protected] Gardening 3 05-09-2003 02:02 AM
How to kill Mistletoe in Maple trees? Phisherman Gardening 5 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
mistletoe mistletoe Plant Science 11 05-05-2003 06:32 PM
Mistletoe Sean Houtman Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:29 PM
Mistletoe for swap Carol Russell United Kingdom 0 01-01-2003 09:40 PM