Old 12-01-2013, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default help withrooting hardwood cuttings?

I asked this question last year, I thought I had saved the answers,
but I have lost them, and anyway the circumstances have changed a
little.

I have an alder tree, which I want to take cuttings from. As I
remember it, the advice is:-

* Cut the branch, I have up to 2 ft available, and I want to grow the
cuttings into big trees, quickly, or is this biting off more than I
can chew?

* Put some hormone rooting powder on and around the cut end. (I am
really not sure what I was advised on this point)

* Put a spade into the earth, rock it back and forth, to create a
slit.

* Drop sand into the slit.

* Push the cut end of the cutting into the sand.

* Stamp on the earth around the slit to close the slit. (There won't
be any problem with this after this rain!)

* Leave it to grow.

Is this OK?

Michael Bell