Old 19-01-2013, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Whoops! Canada bank can't ID their native maple

Sort of OT here but amusing to me as a maple collector!

The new CA$20 has a picture of a Norway maple, not a native Sugar maple
on the face. In most of Canada the Norway maple (A. platanoides ssp) is
considered an invasive pest.

http://rt.com/news/maple-leaf-canada-currency-324/

At least they got the Queen right!

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 20-01-2013, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message

The new CA$20 has a picture of a Norway maple, not a native Sugar maple
on the face. In most of Canada the Norway maple (A. platanoides ssp) is
considered an invasive pest.

http://rt.com/news/maple-leaf-canada-currency-324/

This currency has no picture of any tree. It has several silhouettes of
leaves,
of which one is identifiable (by its five lobes) as a Norway Maple: but
other
silhouettes on the same bill have only three lobes (like the maple leaf
on the Canadian national flag.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 20-01-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 08:23:15 -0500, Don Phillipson wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message

The new CA$20 has a picture of a Norway maple, not a native Sugar maple
on the face. In most of Canada the Norway maple (A. platanoides ssp)
is considered an invasive pest.

http://rt.com/news/maple-leaf-canada-currency-324/

This currency has no picture of any tree. It has several silhouettes
of leaves,

Well yes, I'm talking about the leaf obviously!

of which one is identifiable (by its five lobes) as a Norway Maple: but
other silhouettes on the same bill have only three lobes (like the maple
leaf on the Canadian national flag.)

Sugar maples have a widely variable leaf, and as I'm sure you know the
one on the flag is not from any particular species, but is rather an
idealized version. Still it reasonably resembles some, for example
'Legacy' as shown he

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/fo...ttachment.php?
attachmentid=96232&d=1319783056

But there is no mistaking it for a Norway maple.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy