Old 23-01-2013, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default allotment wars programme

Good Lord they don't half try hard to make 'exciting' programmes don't they?
I bet most of this was set up or 'encouraged' well the confronations
were. Shame as it could have put off a lot of keen young and eager or
old keen and eager allotment applicants!
Nothing about friends or helpful advice, don't suppose the programme
makers wanted that. bet they had to look a long way for guard dogs,
cctv, chnaged locks and so on !

When i move to my next house i am going to find somewhere near a nice
set of allotments,,,, trouble is how hard is that to find?
--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 23-01-2013, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...

Good Lord they don't half try hard to make 'exciting' programmes don't
they?
I bet most of this was set up or 'encouraged' well the confronations were.
Shame as it could have put off a lot of keen young and eager or old keen
and eager allotment applicants!
Nothing about friends or helpful advice, don't suppose the programme makers
wanted that. bet they had to look a long way for guard dogs, cctv, chnaged
locks and so on !

When i move to my next house i am going to find somewhere near a nice set
of allotments,,,, trouble is how hard is that to find?

I read the write up and recorded it just to see how bad it gets. But I don't
recognise the problems from my experience, mostly it's very friendly and we
help each other, at least most do. There are always a cross section of
personalities and abilities on every site and you soon learn which want to
chat and which only grunt or moan constantly.
It's not just finding the site it's finding one with a spare allotment.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-01-2013, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

It's not just finding the site it's finding one with a spare allotment.

I was lucky as ours had recently decided to cut all plots they were
offering in half as they'd had so many people taking one on & then
giving up. There was thus no waiting list & I got one of the half plots
immediately. Them, the person who had my other 1/2 plot gave up & now
I've got both.

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Old 23-01-2013, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:03:52 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:03:35 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...

Good Lord they don't half try hard to make 'exciting' programmes don't
they?
I bet most of this was set up or 'encouraged' well the confronations were.
Shame as it could have put off a lot of keen young and eager or old keen
and eager allotment applicants!
Nothing about friends or helpful advice, don't suppose the programme makers
wanted that. bet they had to look a long way for guard dogs, cctv, chnaged
locks and so on !

When i move to my next house i am going to find somewhere near a nice set
of allotments,,,, trouble is how hard is that to find?

Define nice...

My wife should have watched. She's secretary of a gardening club AKA
the allotments from hell. The woman who only visited her weed covered
allotment twice in 12 months and complained that somebody had stolen
her pumpkins, when in fact they had rotted away, explained that she
wasn't a hobby gardener, but was performing serious experiments. She
is an ex-gardening club experimenter now.

She can watch it on iplayer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...llotment_Wars/
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 23-01-2013, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:03:52 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:03:35 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...

[...]

Good grief!! Who wouldathunkit. One thinks of gardening and
allotmenteering as such gentle pursuits. Thanks for sharing that.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 23-01-2013, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"mogga" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:03:52 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:03:35 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...

[...]

Not when you see those attacking others on here you wouldn't think that!!

Kindest regards and a Happy New Year.

Mike

Old 26-01-2013, 02:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 14:32:40 +0000, mogga
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 11:03:52 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:03:35 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...

[...]

Not outside UK. It will be repeated everything is repeated.
--

Martin

I felt very sorry for the man who kept trying to pay his allotment charge.
It was clear that they wanted him off site. but they went way silly by not
letting him out and calling the police.

Old 26-01-2013, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote
I felt very sorry for the man who kept trying to pay his allotment charge.
It was clear that they wanted him off site. but they went way silly by not
letting him out and calling the police.

I had some sympathy for him too especially when the locked him in but did
you see him planting the pumpkins, in a weed infested plot! Perhaps that's a
little of what we didn't see, if he's planting in weeds I bet by the time
harvest comes you can't see the pumpkins. Could be a reason his neighbours
want him off.
Why don't people use a hoe, 5 mins easy work and all those weeds would be
dead.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-01-2013, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote
I felt very sorry for the man who kept trying to pay his allotment charge.
It was clear that they wanted him off site. but they went way silly by
not letting him out and calling the police.

I had some sympathy for him too especially when the locked him in but did
you see him planting the pumpkins, in a weed infested plot! Perhaps that's
a little of what we didn't see, if he's planting in weeds I bet by the
time harvest comes you can't see the pumpkins. Could be a reason his
neighbours want him off.
Why don't people use a hoe, 5 mins easy work and all those weeds would be
dead.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Not using a hoe and having a few weeds is not an excuse to get the police to
turn him off because he is late with his rent, but he tried to pay it and
no-one would let him.
I don't know the whole situation but this is just why I would prefer to keep
my land to myself.

Old 24-01-2013, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, 23 January 2013 00:07:19 UTC, Janet wrote:
Good Lord they don't half try hard to make 'exciting' programmes don't they? I bet most of this was set up or 'encouraged' well the confronations were. Shame as it could have put off a lot of keen young and eager or old keen and eager allotment applicants! Nothing about friends or helpful advice, don't suppose the programme makers wanted that. bet they had to look a long way for guard dogs, cctv, chnaged locks and so on ! When i move to my next house i am going to find somewhere near a nice set of allotments,,,, trouble is how hard is that to find? -- Janet T. Amersham

This was one of the worst programmes on allotment gardening put out by any TV broadcaster.I have been involved in our local allotment scene for nearly 50years,and at different times as secretary,chairman,show judge,etc and I can honestly say that I could not identify any of the characters with anyone on our or local allotments.I copied the programme also,and was going to show it to those who missed it;however it was so poor and negative,it has been deleted.

Michael
South Manchester

Old 24-01-2013, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael" wrote in message
[...]

Michael a few years back one of the TV channels put on a series reenacting
National Service. You have never seen such rubbish and playing to the
cameras in all your life. One of my illustrated talks is on National Service
and there is always a good rapport and feedback on time spent in National
Service.

Why do those who know nothing about it do such things?

Mike

Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:49:07 AM UTC, 'Mike' wrote:
"michael" wrote in message

[...]

I'm an Angel, honest ! The horns are there just to keep the halo straight..

The time you spent during national service was not a happy one I understand Mike............One wonders why exactly you would choose to relive a time when apparently you were greatly disliked by other recruits, even to the extent that kitchen staff ****ed in your meals............lol

Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael" wrote in message

[...]

Posting and headers noted and recorded.

Old 24-01-2013, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael" wrote in message
[...]

Manchester

I raised this among gardening friends after sharing the URL for that
programme. I suppose it depends where you are but certainly among our
friends we have had some horror stories that have occurred at their
allotment areas, from sabotage among competition rivals to minor theft
between holders of plots to large scale theft by villains stealing whole
crops for sale on market stalls. It is by no means a daily occurrence but
one of the sites in outer London was repeatedly hit by theft until they took
some fairly expensive security measures.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 26-01-2013, 01:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Good Lord they don't half try hard to make 'exciting' programmes don't
they?
I bet most of this was set up or 'encouraged' well the confronations were.
Shame as it could have put off a lot of keen young and eager or old keen
and eager allotment applicants!
Nothing about friends or helpful advice, don't suppose the programme
makers wanted that. bet they had to look a long way for guard dogs, cctv,
chnaged locks and so on !

When i move to my next house i am going to find somewhere near a nice set
of allotments,,,, trouble is how hard is that to find?
--
Janet T.
Amersham

Unfortunately, I don't think this is unusual and is why I keep my land to
myself.
I could easily rent some but don't want the bickering.

TV Programme Alert Mel United Kingdom 0 07-12-2005 11:00 AM
BBC Hampton Court programme last week Jon Connell United Kingdom 7 14-07-2005 03:27 PM
Name of garden mentioned in garden makeover programme James Fidell United Kingdom 3 15-04-2004 08:44 PM
Good TV programme Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 3 09-04-2004 10:32 PM
Dandelion digger on a TV programme this morning?? [email protected] United Kingdom 2 11-11-2002 06:04 PM