Old 12-04-2004, 12:05 AM
James Fidell

Default Name of garden mentioned in garden makeover programme

Been meaning to ask this question for ages, but I've been very busy with
my own garden recently...

A couple of weeks ago I caught part of a garden makeover programme that
involved a design with a central pond over which three giant wooden
"bones" were arranged. Part of the programme covered a visit to a
garden where they showed a huge sculpture of a fern, fern spores and a
wood-and-stone sculpture that looked like a large backbone protruding
from the ground, all in a woodland setting.

Unfortunately I didn't catch the name of the garden. Anyone know which
garden it was and where it is?

James
Old 14-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:40:10 +0000 (UTC), James Fidell
wrote:

Been meaning to ask this question for ages, but I've been very busy with
my own garden recently...

A couple of weeks ago I caught part of a garden makeover programme that
involved a design with a central pond over which three giant wooden
"bones" were arranged. Part of the programme covered a visit to a
garden where they showed a huge sculpture of a fern, fern spores and a
wood-and-stone sculpture that looked like a large backbone protruding
from the ground, all in a woodland setting.

Unfortunately I didn't catch the name of the garden. Anyone know which
garden it was and where it is?

James

I saw the prog too, but don't know the answer to your question. IIRC
it was a BBC programme. Have you tried the BBC gardening web site?

--
Chris

Old 15-04-2004, 07:02 PM
James Fidell

wrote:

Been meaning to ask this question for ages, but I've been very busy with
my own garden recently...

A couple of weeks ago I caught part of a garden makeover programme that
involved a design with a central pond over which three giant wooden
"bones" were arranged. Part of the programme covered a visit to a
garden where they showed a huge sculpture of a fern, fern spores and a
wood-and-stone sculpture that looked like a large backbone protruding
from the ground, all in a woodland setting.

Unfortunately I didn't catch the name of the garden. Anyone know which
garden it was and where it is?

James

I saw the prog too, but don't know the answer to your question. IIRC
it was a BBC programme. Have you tried the BBC gardening web site?

Aha! Eventually found what I was looking for. Turns out the programme
was "Small Town Gardens" and whilst I didn't recognise any of the
designers' names (I didn't see all of the programme anyway), I found a
link to the gardens they visited which gives me:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/grizedaleforestpark

Shame it's at the other end of the country, and there don't appear to be
any pictures of the sculptures

James
Old 15-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from James Fidell contains these words:

wrote:

[...]

It's well worth a trip. Do a search on Andy Goldsworthy and you'll
probably find something similar closer to home; or, there are some
luscious illustrated books of his wonderful work (a lovely birthday
present if anybody asks what you'd like).

Janet