Old 27-01-2013, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Britain from above

This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical storm.
Old 27-01-2013, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical
storm.

:-((

Oh Dear David

A lot of lost time I see ahead. Fascinating photographs

Mike

Old 27-01-2013, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical storm.

Thank you David, interesting site :-)

Old 27-01-2013, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-27 18:58:16 +0000, David Hill said:

This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical storm.

Fascinating! Thanks, David from South Devon where we're having rain and gales!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-01-2013, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/01/2013 18:58, David Hill wrote:
This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical storm.

Interesting.

I would have thought, that, if they weren't destroyed towards the end of
the war, there would have been a pretty large repository of high-quality
photos taken by the Luftwaffe (particularly during the Battle of
Britain) available in some storage facility somewhere in Germany.

--

Jeff

Old 28-01-2013, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-28 09:51:17 +0000, Martin said:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:30:07 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 27/01/2013 18:58, David Hill wrote:
This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical storm.

Interesting.

I would have thought, that, if they weren't destroyed towards the end of
the war, there would have been a pretty large repository of high-quality
photos taken by the Luftwaffe (particularly during the Battle of
Britain) available in some storage facility somewhere in Germany.

AFAIK the Luftwaffe photos are in UK somewhere. IWM??

Some are here at a price
http://www.hitlersukpictures.co.uk/

The National Collection of Aerial Photography is in Edinburgh and
contains many war photos.
--

Sacha

Old 28-01-2013, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 27/01/2013 18:58, David Hill wrote:
This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical storm.

Interesting.

I would have thought, that, if they weren't destroyed towards the end of
the war, there would have been a pretty large repository of high-quality
photos taken by the Luftwaffe (particularly during the Battle of
Britain) available in some storage facility somewhere in Germany.

AFAIK the Luftwaffe photos are in UK somewhere. IWM??

Some are here at a price
http://www.hitlersukpictures.co.uk/

The National Collection of Aerial Photography is in Edinburgh and
contains many war photos.

http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk/

What a farce, Doesn't show ant pictures of Wales
Old 28-01-2013, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 27/01/2013 18:58, David Hill wrote:
This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical storm.

Interesting.

I would have thought, that, if they weren't destroyed towards the end of
the war, there would have been a pretty large repository of high-quality
photos taken by the Luftwaffe (particularly during the Battle of
Britain) available in some storage facility somewhere in Germany.

AFAIK the Luftwaffe photos are in UK somewhere. IWM??

Some are here at a price
http://www.hitlersukpictures.co.uk/

The National Collection of Aerial Photography is in Edinburgh and
contains many war photos.

http://aerial.rcahms.gov.uk/

What a farce, Doesn't show ant pictures of Wales

We saw Countryfile last night and it showed the tunnel from which 70
prisoners of war, in a Welsh prison camp, escaped. I'd never even
heard of a camp being in Wales, let alone the biggest escape in British
WW2 history!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-01-2013, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

It's at the side of the A48, I've driven past it several hundred times,
you used to be able to see the huts from the road, just on the outskirts
of Bridgend, but if you didn't know what it was you wouldn't notice it.
now a housing estate around it.
Old 28-01-2013, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

We saw Countryfile last night and it showed the tunnel from which 70
prisoners of war, in a Welsh prison camp, escaped. I'd never even heard
of a camp being in Wales, let alone the biggest escape in British WW2
history!

Same here! We love Countryfile and enjoyed last it last night too.
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 28-01-2013, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

Be pleased that you don't watch enough TV, Sacha.
The POW camp has featured in several programmes, even in Coast AFAIR.
Italian friends found it hard to believe that Eden Camp, near Malton,
which was a POW camp for Italians, had been turned into a very popular
museum. I recall Italian POWs being used as farm labourers. They
walked around without guards.
--

Martin

The Eden Camp is fantastic. Been there quite a few time with ex Service
Associations.

If anybody is interested in taking a group there, as I do, then get in touch
with them first and they will arrange to rope off part of the cafeteria and
provide a buffet for you at a very reasonable price. You will need all day
there or a couple of visits and if you go into the theatre, don't sit in the
front row ;-)

Mike

Old 28-01-2013, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

The Italian POWs built a statue to Romulus and Remus by the side of the
A39, very near where the television mast is. There was a camp a little
way towards Bristol on the same side of the road, albeit a small one I
believe.

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.
Old 28-01-2013, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-28 11:15:49 +0000, Martin said:

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:06:55 +0000, Sacha wrote:
snip

We saw Countryfile last night and it showed the tunnel from which 70
prisoners of war, in a Welsh prison camp, escaped. I'd never even
heard of a camp being in Wales, let alone the biggest escape in British
WW2 history!

Be pleased that you don't watch enough TV, Sacha.
The POW camp has featured in several programmes, even in Coast AFAIR.
Italian friends found it hard to believe that Eden Camp, near Malton,
which was a POW camp for Italians, had been turned into a very popular
museum. I recall Italian POWs being used as farm labourers. They
walked around without guards.

I tend to switch off in Coast. I don't know what it is about it,
because it should be fascinating. I'm afraid I think it's the
presenter, some of whom just get on my nerves in a bad way!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-01-2013, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Parts of the UK are shown as 1945 aerial images in Google Earth. You can
find them by looking at the date bar in the corner of the display. If it
doesn't show for your part of the country, zoom into London which does
have 1945 coverage, choose the 1945 map and then zoom out again. You will
then see the full extent of the coverage.
Interestingly, these aerial photo's have been 'doctored' to remove some
strategic sites like airports.

It's possible that these come from the same source as the link above - I
haven't checked.
Old 28-01-2013, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 27/01/2013 18:58, David Hill wrote:
This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical storm.

Interesting.

I would have thought, that, if they weren't destroyed towards the end of
the war, there would have been a pretty large repository of high-quality
photos taken by the Luftwaffe (particularly during the Battle of
Britain) available in some storage facility somewhere in Germany.

AFAIK the Luftwaffe photos are in UK somewhere. IWM??

Some are here at a price
http://www.hitlersukpictures.co.uk/

A man being interviewed on (I think) Countryfile last night talked
about the "Luft woff".!

Pam in Bristol