Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Britain from above

On 2013-02-02 09:25:46 +0000, Martin said:

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 00:29:14 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst
us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical
storm.

I tried to look at that site and it crashed my computer. It shut off
claiming it had closed down to protect my system from a malicious add-on
and it's taken hours to get it back up and running again. It sent it
into a
real panic.
Did anyone else have that problem?

Not me. I didn't install an add on.

Perhaps Tina's computer was already 'infected' by something?
--

Unlikely. I have state of the art virus and malware protection.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst
us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical
storm.

I tried to look at that site and it crashed my computer. It shut off
claiming it had closed down to protect my system from a malicious
add-on
and it's taken hours to get it back up and running again. It sent it
into a
real panic.
Did anyone else have that problem?

Not me. I didn't install an add on.

Perhaps Tina's computer was already 'infected' by something?

Infectious laughter? :-)

Hollow laughter! It's pretty scary when something like that happens. If
I'm about to open something my computer doesn't like, it warns me in a
rather chiding tone! But I suspect Tina has picked up a virus somewhere
and should probably get it all checked before emailing anyone. When I had
a pc I remember opening an email from a friend - as I thought. In fact a
worm (?) had invaded his address book and every time someone opened the
email, it got into *their* address book. It took days to sort that out!
--

Sacha

Ok, it's not impossible but I do have very good protection on my computer.
Hence it blew its top. Pity, as I wanted to see Britain from above.
Maybe the site is safe. My computer says NO;-)
I swept it today for viruses and I don't have any.

Tina

Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2013-02-02 09:25:46 +0000, Martin said:

Did anyone else have that problem?

Not me. I didn't install an add on.

Perhaps Tina's computer was already 'infected' by something?

Unlikely. I have state of the art virus and malware protection.

Hollow laughter :-) If you are lucky, that gives you protection
against 90% of attacks. But the same applies to believing that
your haven't installed an add-on ....

Even I don't claim to be safe against such things, and I run in
a mode that even my colleagues think is paranoid!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 19:28:32 -0000, "Christina Websell"

wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst
us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical
storm.

I tried to look at that site and it crashed my computer. It shut off
claiming it had closed down to protect my system from a malicious
add-on
and it's taken hours to get it back up and running again. It sent it
into a
real panic.
Did anyone else have that problem?

Not me. I didn't install an add on.

Perhaps Tina's computer was already 'infected' by something?
--

Unlikely. I have state of the art virus and malware protection.

That sounds very unlikely if what you posted about
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/ is correct.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Maybe my computer is paranoid.
But normally it is very right about threats and that link, well, it didn't
like it. It shut down my computer and then it went into a hissy fit. There
was something about that link that my computer simply did not like.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Perhaps Tina's computer was already 'infected' by something?
--

Unlikely. I have state of the art virus and malware protection.

You might have a state of the art virus though

Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/02/2013 09:37, Martin wrote:

wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

The problem is in what you have installed not the website. It was what
you have installed that shut down your PC not the website.
Which browser are you using and which plugins has it got?

I'd try Chrome and/or Opera and see what happens
Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-04 09:53:17 +0000, stuart noble said:

Perhaps Tina's computer was already 'infected' by something?
--

Unlikely. I have state of the art virus and malware protection.

You might have a state of the art virus though

Nobody else has had a problem with that site which would seem to argue
something wrong with the computer, not the program.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 09:15:40 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

On 02/02/2013 00:29, Christina Websell wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
This is a site that should interest many of you esp the older amongst
us
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/
David @the tropical end of Swansea bay where we are having a tropical
storm.

I tried to look at that site and it crashed my computer. It shut off
claiming it had closed down to protect my system from a malicious add-on
and it's taken hours to get it back up and running again. It sent it
into a
real panic.
Did anyone else have that problem?
Tina

I've accessed it several times over the past couple of years with no
problems.
If it had given me any trouble then I wouldn't have posted a link to it.

but we don't install malicious add ons, David.

If there was malicious add on, it must have already been in
Christina's PC.
--

No, I only got it from that site.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

I can only say that that link crashed my computer. Whether you all agree
about my virus safety or not., it did.
It closed my computer down saying it was a threat and got sniffy about
getting back.
I think it allows me back on the internet now.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Yes but have you had your computer checked for worms, virus etc? If
not, there's a danger of you passing whatever-caused-it (and it wasn't
that link) on to others, surely?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2013-02-07 23:49:28 +0000, Christina Websell said:

I can only say that that link crashed my computer. Whether you all
agree about my virus safety or not., it did.
It closed my computer down saying it was a threat and got sniffy about
getting back.
I think it allows me back on the internet now.

Yes but have you had your computer checked for worms, virus etc? If
not, there's a danger of you passing whatever-caused-it (and it wasn't
that link) on to others, surely?

This is getting rather unproductive. The following things are all
true:

Being up to date on anti-virus protection is comparable to the
'flu jab - it reduces the probability, but doesn't eliminate it.

There are many ways of crashing a computer via a Web browser
other than installing a virus or similar.

The symptoms above smell of an over-clever 'interconnect link'
(in some sense) suspecting and issue and reacting wrongly.

Even those of us who could identify the problem cannot do so
from the information that has been provided.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
On 2013-02-07 23:49:28 +0000, Christina Websell said:

[...]

All this is why I suggested she gets her computer checked. It may be
nothing, it may be over-protective software but as it's absolutely
contrary to everyone else's experience and Tina insists her computer is
Fort Knox, in her shoes, I'd have it looked over by a techie.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-02-2013, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 23:49:28 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

If you still think that the link crashed your computer, people here
are wasting their time trying to help you.

Which browser were you using? Did you try a different browser? Did
your PC crash with both browsers?If not you have something nasty in
your browser or in an add on that the browser uses. I've tried the
link in IE9, Opera, Google Chrome and Firebird none of them crashed.

I can only say that link crashed my computer, I'm not blaming anyone.

Old 13-02-2013, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 23:57:26 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I can only say that link crashed my computer, I'm not blaming anyone.

For the last time it wasn't the link, but a tool you have installed
that gives you a feeling of security. If it was just the link then you
wouldn't be the only one with a crashed computer.

Sigh. For the Nth time, that is not necessarily true, but we have
not seen enough information to make an educated guess at the cause.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.