Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes

On 04/02/2013 20:20, Paul Luton wrote:
On 02/02/2013 16:35, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote
Goodness! You've taken a lot on, Bob. I assume these are for your
allotment rather than your house garden.

I'll be particularly interested in how you get on with your Kestrel,
since I'm growing those too, but a general report at the end of the
season would be great. I imagine you're also growing on London Clay?
Let's hope we don't get a summer of blight, floods and grizzly
gastropods.

Grown it for years and years, excellent potato, good for just about
everything in the kitchen and also showing if you're that way inclined.
Does not keep as long as a maincrop but we use the Kestrel up first.
Yes, we are on Thames silt/clay, very acid, heavy and very sticky,
constantly needs a lot of organic matter and working to make it friable.
Can't get on it to do anything until it dries out.

Fully agree about Kestrel. Good crop and generally useful including
great chips.

Paul
Also SW London

Thanks, Paul. Good to know.