Old 06-02-2013, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Save Flat Holm Island

I don't know how many people have heard that in an effort to cut costs
Cardiff City Council want to sell off Flat Holm Island.
You can sign this petition if you want to try to save it.

https://www.change.org/petitions/car...aaM_hKZfGvHSQI

David @the sunny end of Swansea Bay
Old 06-02-2013, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/02/2013 12:31, David Hill wrote:
I don't know how many people have heard that in an effort to cut costs
Cardiff City Council want to sell off Flat Holm Island.
You can sign this petition if you want to try to save it.

https://www.change.org/petitions/car...aaM_hKZfGvHSQI

David @the sunny end of Swansea Bay

If that link doesn't work try
Help Jo pro tect Flat Holm Island here.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/02/2013 12:35, David Hill wrote:
On 06/02/2013 12:31, David Hill wrote:
I don't know how many people have heard that in an effort to cut costs
Cardiff City Council want to sell off Flat Holm Island.
You can sign this petition if you want to try to save it.

https://www.change.org/petitions/car...aaM_hKZfGvHSQI

David @the sunny end of Swansea Bay

If that link doesn't work try
Help Jo pro tect Flat Holm Island here.

I'll get it right this time
http://www.change.org/petitions/card...-holm-island-2
3rd time lucky
David
Old 06-02-2013, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

David Hill wrote:

I don't know how many people have heard that in an effort to cut
costs Cardiff City Council want to sell off Flat Holm Island.

OK. How much do they want for it?

--
Chris
Old 06-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
On 06/02/2013 12:31, David Hill wrote:
I don't know how many people have heard that in an effort to cut costs
Cardiff City Council want to sell off Flat Holm Island.
You can sign this petition if you want to try to save it.

https://www.change.org/petitions/car...aaM_hKZfGvHSQI

David @the sunny end of Swansea Bay

If that link doesn't work try
Help Jo pro tect Flat Holm Island here.
!) Save it from what?

2) Why should anyone, who does not pay rates within the Cardiff area, have a say in what they do with their funds?

Old 06-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
I don't know how many people have heard that in an effort to cut costs
Cardiff City Council want to sell off Flat Holm Island.
This is a bit misleading, because Cardiff City Council doesn't actually own it, it merely has a lease of it, up until 2074. The owner is the Crown Estate. I expect the Crown Estate would control what you can actually do with it, for example the fact taht it is a Local Nature Reserve is a condition of lease. It is also an SSSI. It has a guesthouse, an operating lighthouse and foghorn, and a number of ruined buildings. There is also some infrastructure associated with a sustainable energy demonstration project.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/02/2013 13:59, CT wrote:
David Hill wrote:

I don't know how many people have heard that in an effort to cut
costs Cardiff City Council want to sell off Flat Holm Island.

OK. How much do they want for it?

If it is not saved will it sink?

--
Remember the early bird may catch the worm but the second mouse gets the
cheese.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/02/2013 17:29, echinosum wrote:
David Hill;977834 Wrote:
I don't know how many people have heard that in an effort to cut costs
Cardiff City Council want to sell off Flat Holm Island.

This is a bit misleading, because Cardiff City Council doesn't actually
own it, it merely has a lease of it, up until 2074. The owner is the
Crown Estate. I expect the Crown Estate would control what you can
actually do with it, for example the fact taht it is a Local Nature
Reserve is a condition of lease. It is also an SSSI. It has a
guesthouse, an operating lighthouse and foghorn, and a number of ruined
buildings. There is also some infrastructure associated with a
sustainable energy demonstration project.

From The Telegraph

By Leah Hyslop
12:22PM GMT 05 Feb 2013
Looking for an unusual home? A windswept Welsh island that has been home
to monks, cholera victims and soldiers could soon be on the market.

Flat Holm Island is a designated wildlife haven five miles from the
coast of Cardiff which attracts boatloads of visitors each year.

It has been maintained by Cardiff Council for over a century, but harsh
budget cuts mean that the council is concerned it can no longer afford
the annual £150,000 running costs.

In budget proposals set out last week, the council said that tourist
demand for the 86-acre island in the Bristol Channel is “highly
concentrated in the summer summer months and is insufficient to cover
the operating costs of the facility”.

“It is proposed to cease all visits to the island, and dispose of the
island to a third party with no further Council involvement,” it added

SEE also
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-21289956

Another interesting article with some good pics
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#axzz2K9s2HAFC

Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

I don't know how many people have heard that in an effort to cut costs
Cardiff City Council want to sell off Flat Holm Island.
You can sign this petition if you want to try to save it.

https://www.change.org/petitions/car...aaM_hKZfGvHSQI

I wonder if the National Trust would be interested, they seem to be buying
up all the coast so why not an island.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 09:36:56 +0100, Martin wrote:

Any new owners will be bound by the SSSI and LNR regulations.

Even if Argentina buys the island and declares UDI?

Even with our greatly reduced navy, it would be slightly easier to
retake than the Falklands :-))

Tow an aircraft carrier bridge mounted on a raft there to frighten
them off. :-)

MV Balmoral is looking for something to do and is already in the right
area.
http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/item_10390.html

When full of PSPS supporters wearing wooly bobble hats she could look
quite intimidating.

G.Harman

Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/02/2013 14:24, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 13:47:45 +0000, wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 09:36:56 +0100, Martin wrote:

Any new owners will be bound by the SSSI and LNR regulations.

Even if Argentina buys the island and declares UDI?

Even with our greatly reduced navy, it would be slightly easier to
retake than the Falklands :-))

Tow an aircraft carrier bridge mounted on a raft there to frighten
them off. :-)

MV Balmoral is looking for something to do and is already in the right
area.
http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/item_10390.html

When full of PSPS supporters wearing wooly bobble hats she could look
quite intimidating.

LOL

The Onedin Lines Charlotte Rose is for sale. There's a monitor in
Rotterdam. It was a gunboat sent to quell native unrest.

The lead star from The O Line, has recently died.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Onedin Lines Charlotte Rose is for sale. There's a monitor in
Rotterdam. It was a gunboat sent to quell native unrest.

The lead star from The O Line, has recently died.

I wasn't expecting him to be the acting skipper.

Not even a ghost of a chance?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 16:06:49 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

The Onedin Lines Charlotte Rose is for sale. There's a monitor in
Rotterdam. It was a gunboat sent to quell native unrest.

The lead star from The O Line, has recently died.

I wasn't expecting him to be the acting skipper.

Not even a ghost of a chance?

Only if he got the job on the Flying Dutchman.
--

He would have been experienced

Mike

Old 11-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post
Even if Argentina buys the island and declares UDI?
As previously explained, the island itself is not for sale, only a lease with about 60 years remaining.

Oda Margaret Holm 'Mary' V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 05-04-2007 12:03 AM
Pruning British Holm Oak Spider United Kingdom 2 24-08-2004 05:16 PM
Does Holm oak make an attractive shrub? Norman Tulloch United Kingdom 1 06-08-2004 02:43 PM
Holm-oaks Mike United Kingdom 7 13-05-2003 11:44 PM
Weird flat fungus? Sue United Kingdom 4 18-11-2002 09:39 PM