Old 24-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Mike

Default Holm-oaks

We have 109 Holm-oaks with Tree Preservation Orders on them. They are
being trimmed to allow light onto a Public Path and the Park we are
developing.

Can any of the branches being cut off, trimmed somehow to small shoots
and struck?

I would love to see some more being planted. The TPO Officer did say
when she called to see us, that Holm-oaks can grow in the shade of these
huge ones and form a hedge. (At the end of the row of 109, there are
many more in a continuation, which form a hedge as the boundary of
someone's garden)

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 24-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike writes:

| We have 109 Holm-oaks with Tree Preservation Orders on them. They are
| being trimmed to allow light onto a Public Path and the Park we are
| developing.
|
| Can any of the branches being cut off, trimmed somehow to small shoots
| and struck?

It's worth trying, anyway. What have you got to lose?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Mike

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Mike writes:

| We have 109 Holm-oaks with Tree Preservation Orders on them. They are
| being trimmed to allow light onto a Public Path and the Park we are
| developing.
|
| Can any of the branches being cut off, trimmed somehow to small shoots
| and struck?

It's worth trying, anyway. What have you got to lose?

:-)) Nothing at all :-))

Just on my way to meet some 'Wood Turners' who say that Holm-oak is a
superb wood for turning. Must be about a ton, maybe a little less, (To
keep Mabbett happy) of timber from about 6ins in diameter to about 10ins
in diameter and up to 3ft long!! If not recovered by the Turners, it
will be burnt on Saturday :-((

Old 24-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Mike

In article , Mike
writes
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Mike writes:

| We have 109 Holm-oaks with Tree Preservation Orders on them. They are
| being trimmed to allow light onto a Public Path and the Park we are
| developing.
|
| Can any of the branches being cut off, trimmed somehow to small shoots
| and struck?

It's worth trying, anyway. What have you got to lose?

:-)) Nothing at all :-))

Just on my way to meet some 'Wood Turners' who say that Holm-oak is a
superb wood for turning. Must be about a ton, maybe a little less, (To
keep Mabbett happy) of timber from about 6ins in diameter to about 10ins
in diameter and up to 3ft long!! If not recovered by the Turners, it
will be burnt on Saturday :-((

The van went away well loaded :-))

Have brought some tips of the trimmed branches home and stuck them in
the ground with fingers crossed.

Mike, the 'real' and original Mike, not the impostor. Who does he think
he is, feeling he is as good as me and that 'I' must change my name. He
will be saying he owns the newsgroup with Sacha, Barraclough and Mabbett
next.

Old 26-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Peter Charles Fagg

Mike, as one of the woodturners you contacted I just want to say
thankyou for the thought. It is just undortunate that I am not in the
position right at the moment to collect anything from your area.
Thanks again,
Regards,
Peter Charles Fagg
Freshwater, Isle of Wight,
United Kingdom.
www.petersplatters.co.uk
Each can do but little!
But if each DID that little,
ALL would be done!

Old 26-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Mike

In article , Peter
Charles Fagg writes
Mike, as one of the woodturners you contacted I just want to say
thankyou for the thought. It is just undortunate that I am not in the
position right at the moment to collect anything from your area.
Thanks again,
Regards,
Peter Charles Fagg

Peter it was my pleasure.

The JCB has been in again today and dragged everything away from the
public footpath ready for a bonfire next weekend.

If you can make it anytime this week up to Saturday morning, there is
still plenty there, it's just that it is in a heap.

I am unable to be there after Friday as I have a reunion in England to
attend to, but if you can make it before, only toooooooooo willing to
oblige.

Old 26-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Mike

In article , Peter
Charles Fagg writes
Mike, as one of the woodturners you contacted I just want to say
thankyou for the thought. It is just undortunate that I am not in the
position right at the moment to collect anything from your area.
Thanks again,
Regards,
Peter Charles Fagg
Freshwater, Isle of Wight,

Peter it was your posting here which woke up the grey matter :-)

We conversed a short while back re a 'Pocket Book of Knowledge' :-)
Are you still at H & J's? I seem to remember you had 'sore feet' ;-}

Old 13-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Alan Holmes

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Mike writes:

| We have 109 Holm-oaks with Tree Preservation Orders on them. They are
| being trimmed to allow light onto a Public Path and the Park we are
| developing.
|
| Can any of the branches being cut off, trimmed somehow to small

shoots
| and struck?

It's worth trying, anyway. What have you got to lose?

:-)) Nothing at all :-))

Just on my way to meet some 'Wood Turners' who say that Holm-oak is a
superb wood for turning. Must be about a ton, maybe a little less, (To
keep Mabbett happy) of timber from about 6ins in diameter to about 10ins
in diameter and up to 3ft long!! If not recovered by the Turners, it
will be burnt on Saturday :-((

The van went away well loaded :-))

Have brought some tips of the trimmed branches home and stuck them in
the ground with fingers crossed.

I grew some from acorns.

Alan