Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default new to gardening

In article ,
Phil Gurr wrote:

The one thing that no-one has asked is - where the heck are you?
The advice that you get will be different depending on whether
you are in Shetland or Cornwall.

Or even Cambridge! The UK is pretty small, and there is little
climatic variation compared to the rest of the world, but it is
quite enough to have significant effects on what can be grown.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Phil if you would care to read my post I did ask what sort of
garden/exposure she had and quoted inner city/Atlantic gales, that would
have explained a little more. I could have gone into soil structure etc
but Stacey is not a gardener.

You have been in my killfile as long as spades have been made of flint.
I do NOT care to read your posts.

Phil

Old 11-02-2013, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message
On Thursday, 7 February 2013 13:48:54 UTC, Staceyxxx wrote:
Hi all, i'm embracing gardening this year..

i have had my own house for 5 years now with 1 neglected garden ...

the garden has lots of different bushes and trees (not sure what they

are) and is enclosed, i have 3 dogs so nothing that will harm them..

the back garden is about 70ft long approx and the width of a house.. it

has a shed & coal house..

the front garden has a big drive way and the spare space is 10 foot by 4

foot.

Any ideas what i can do with these??

You need to give some thought to how you can protect the garden from the
dogs,
they can be trained to keep off borders - listen to GQT's Bunny Guinness on
this. Kids playing on grass fouled by dogs is bad, so is strimming unawares
through a pile of said mess (you soon will be aware).
Dogs crashing through borders and digging in the lawns and borders can be
very damaging and expensive and dispiriting if you've put a lot of work in.
Don't get me wrong I quite like dogs but you do need to manage the
interaction of dogs with the garden.
My favourite image from years ago and in somebody elses garden and the dog
was garden owner's dog thank goodness. A big fat Lab laughing all over it's
face and carrying a mouth full of peacock plumes crashing back through the
herbaceous border it had just crashed through in hot pursuit of the peacock
from next door.

Rod

Several years ago Dr Ian Dunbar the dog psychololgist had a series of
pexcellent programmes in which he gave invaluable advice on dog behaviour.
One item was (dealing with a puupy) was to play with the puppy and let it
see you burying a treat ( a Bonio maybe) The puppy can be encouraged to dig
for it. Of course you should have buried the Bonio in a spot that you don't
mind the puppy digging in. later in life the puppy will generally dig in
the same spot hoping to find another Bonio. This really did work with both
my Labradors.

Bill