Old 19-02-2013, 08:54 PM
Registered User

Default New to gardening

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask a few questions, and please keep in mind I've never gardened before, so I'm new to this.

I've just tidied up the front garden this last weekend, ripping out what I think are weeds, chopping down dead trees and turning over soil which the previous owner did nothing with.

Anyway, I've bought a collection of bulbs for planting. A mix of white and red flowers. My first question is, if I plant bulbs in the garden, will this regrow every year? Or are they a one off thing, once planted they grow and then die never to return?

Notes: from what I believe I've understood, they should regrow every year if they successfully grew in the first year.

2. If they do regrow every year do they create new bulbs in the ground and multiply, so one becomes two, two become four etc?

3. The packaging on the bulbs says I can plant in Feb, is this really true as I was also reading that frost can damage the bulbs?

and last but not least.

4. If I was to plant the bulbs this weekend, how long would it be before I start seeing results, so anything green popping out of the ground. Not the flowers, just green foliage?

If anyone can answer these questions that'd be great.
Old 19-02-2013, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sycrid" wrote in message

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask a few questions, and please keep in mind I've never
gardened before, so I'm new to this.

I've just tidied up the front garden this last weekend, ripping out what
I think are weeds, chopping down dead trees and turning over soil which
the previous owner did nothing with.

Anyway, I've bought a collection of bulbs for planting. A mix of white
and red flowers. My first question is, if I plant bulbs in the garden,
will this regrow every year? Or are they a one off thing, once planted
they grow and then die never to return?

It depends what they are. Many will, and will multiply over the years.
Tulips are the most notable exception to this, they gradually lessen, and
many people treat them as annuals.

Notes: from what I believe I've understood, they should regrow every
year if they successfully grew in the first year.

2. If they do regrow every year do they create new bulbs in the ground
and multiply, so one becomes two, two become four etc?

Again, it depends what they are.

3. The packaging on the bulbs says I can plant in Feb, is this really
true as I was also reading that frost can damage the bulbs?

Assume the people who packed them know what they are talking about. Plant
them at the depth specified, the bulbs will know what to do, and when to
come up.

and last but not least.

4. If I was to plant the bulbs this weekend, how long would it be before
I start seeing results, so anything green popping out of the ground. Not
the flowers, just green foliage?

It depends, again on what they are, and also on what the weather does in the
next few weeks. If the packet says plant in Feb, presumably it also says
when they'll flower.

If anyone can answer these questions that'd be great.

For future reference, please tell us where you live, not your address, but
the region at least. The north of scotland has very different growing
conditions to the south coast. Also be a bit more forthcoming about what
you're growing.

And welcome to the group.

Steve

Old 19-02-2013, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sycrid" wrote
[...]

I'm trying to think what "bulbs" you would plant in February? Must be summer
flowering.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 20-02-2013, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-02-19 20:54:45 +0000, Sycrid said:

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask a few questions, and please keep in mind I've never
gardened before, so I'm new to this.

I've just tidied up the front garden this last weekend, ripping out what
I think are weeds, chopping down dead trees and turning over soil which
the previous owner did nothing with.

Usually, advice is to wait until things start to grow before you do
anything irreversible. Trees might look dead but are just dormant and
those weeds could possibly be desirable plants. I hope not but it might
be an idea just to do things like cut the grass and trim lawn edges and
then wait to see what your plants turn into. In the meantime, you
could look at the Dr Hessayon collection of 'Garden Expert' books which
are really useful.

Anyway, I've bought a collection of bulbs for planting. A mix of white
and red flowers. My first question is, if I plant bulbs in the garden,
will this regrow every year? Or are they a one off thing, once planted
they grow and then die never to return?

Most bulbs last for years, some spread and increase their numbers on
their own, or can be dug up, the mini bulbs taken off and re-planted to
increase your stock. Tulips don't flower well for more than one year
though the smaller tulips, T. kaufmannia are often an exception to
that. But most people plant tulips for a year's flowering and then
when the flowers die back, hoick the whole lot out.

Notes: from what I believe I've understood, they should regrow every
year if they successfully grew in the first year.

2. If they do regrow every year do they create new bulbs in the ground
and multiply, so one becomes two, two become four etc?

3. The packaging on the bulbs says I can plant in Feb, is this really
true as I was also reading that frost can damage the bulbs?

If it says you can, it's probably right but which bulbs are they?

and last but not least.

4. If I was to plant the bulbs this weekend, how long would it be before
I start seeing results, so anything green popping out of the ground. Not
the flowers, just green foliage?

Depends on what they are and the packets should be give you an
approximate month for flowering.

If anyone can answer these questions that'd be great.

We can help you better if we know the general area in which you live.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Registered User

Thanks guys, that's some great information for me.

Location wise, I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne (North East England).

As for the flowers, I'll have to check the tags/boxes the bulbs are in and get back to you.

Never the less that's great information, so thank you.