Old 18-03-2013, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mahonia "caress"

Oh dear wish they didn't put these plants on GW. Carol klein planting
one in her garden and saying it was hardy.

Three people emailed me to ask me if i could souce one (it's the one
with leaves that look like they've been ravaged by a caterpillar)
Found some nurseries stock it but not until summer.
However also found several comments from the US where it originates
wherein every writer agreed it was NOT as hardy as normal Charity and
others so needs perhaps a sheletered spot.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 18-03-2013, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

I tend not to plant so-called 'hardy shrubs' here and had never ever considered buying a Mahonia for this garden. Then I saw a 70cms high Mahonia eurybracteata 'Soft Caress' and was immediately struck by its elegant foliage and clear light yellow flowers. My local G/C had them on sale last year (for rather less than the prices charged by Crocus etc) and I simply could not ignore. It flowered throughout the winter and is a wonderful variety. I love its sea-green, soft, spineless leaves that do an excellent job mimicking the S. American 'Parlour palms' (Chamaedorea sp.) and for here at least, it seems hardy.

Bless her, I suspect Carol was so enthusiastic about it that she forgot to check up on cold tolerance. In many areas, it does need shelter and will suffer in a frost hollow. However, it is compact enough to be grown in a reasonable sized container that can be moved against a warm, sheltered wall in winter. It's one of those plants that you need to place carefully in order to ensure its survival. I think it is well worth the effort.
Old 18-03-2013, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:26:31 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Oh dear wish they didn't put these plants on GW. Carol klein planting
one in her garden and saying it was hardy.

Three people emailed me to ask me if i could souce one (it's the one
with leaves that look like they've been ravaged by a caterpillar)
Found some nurseries stock it but not until summer.
However also found several comments from the US where it originates
wherein every writer agreed it was NOT as hardy as normal Charity and
others so needs perhaps a sheletered spot.

You should email/twitter GW about it.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 18-03-2013, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/03/2013 12:50, Dave Poole wrote:
It's one of those plants that you need to place carefully in order to ensure its survival. I think it is well worth the effort.

Thanks for the information David. The three gardeners who want it live
quite high up in the Chilterns and at least two of them stick to hardy
stuff if they can. i will pass this information along.
Much appreciated.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 18-03-2013, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/03/2013 13:42, mogga wrote:
You should email/twitter GW about it.

Most of my friends say I twitter on too much anyway so I am afraid i
don't go near the Internet variety

--
Janet T.
Amersham