Old 01-04-2013, 04:52 PM
irene24's Avatar
Registered User

Default weeds

What is the weed root on the right
Im pulling up weeds and found these that look almost like worms
In the picture is some netle roots but can any one i d the other one as im going to use weed killer as there are thousands of the
Irene
Attached Thumbnails
weeds-20130401_153238.jpg
Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by irene24 View Post
What is the weed root on the right
Im pulling up weeds and found these that look almost like worms
In the picture is some netle roots but can any one i d the other one as im going to use weed killer as there are thousands of the
Irene
Cough grass?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 PM
irene24's Avatar
Registered User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
Cough grass?
Could be ! Will weedoll kill it
Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irene24 View Post
Could be ! Will weedoll kill it
I'd say not couch grass because there's no sign of shoots yet. I'd be inclined to thing they were bindweed.
__________________
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/04/2013 17:51, kay wrote:
irene24;980035 Wrote:
Could be ! Will weedoll kill it

I'd say not couch grass because there's no sign of shoots yet. I'd be
inclined to thing they were bindweed.

They don't look at lot like bindweed roots to me. I find those to be
very brittle, whereas the roots in the OP's pic look quite strong,
almost like a shrub or small tree root. There is even the attachment of
some wiry or fibrous roots, seeming to confirm that. Alas, my
deductions take me no further.

It is worth mentioning that if the OP has removed all the green growth
from her weeds (which I deduce from her being at root level), then there
is not a lot of point using glyphosate-based Weedol until there is some
leafy top growth to drench. I know Weedol offers to be a root killer,
but it kills the roots systemically by being taken up by the leaves and
passed through the roots, thus killing them. If she is dealing with
some shrubby weeds, then more than one application may be necessary.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 16:51:31 +0000, kay
wrote:

irene24;980035 Wrote:
Could be ! Will weedoll kill it

I'd say not couch grass because there's no sign of shoots yet. I'd be
inclined to thing they were bindweed.

I have to concur. My advice is to get every inch of root out and
dispose of it away from your plot. The blighter is pernicious and it
will be back. Glyphosate will help control it once the leaves show,
but be prepared for a long campaign.

HTH
JonH
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , irene24.bcfa616
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

What is the weed root on the right
Im pulling up weeds and found these that look almost like worms
In the picture is some netle roots but can any one i d the other one as
im going to use weed killer as there are thousands of the
Irene

|Filename: 20130401_153238.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15506|

My vote is on ground elder

But whatever it is.. fork it loose, pick it out.

Janet
Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

irene24 wrote:
What is the weed root on the right

Looks like twitch to me.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/04/2013 23:03, Janet wrote:
In article , irene24.bcfa616
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

What is the weed root on the right
Im pulling up weeds and found these that look almost like worms
In the picture is some netle roots but can any one i d the other one as
im going to use weed killer as there are thousands of the
Irene

|Filename: 20130401_153238.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15506|

My vote is on ground elder

My vote is also for ground elder. The OP could help a lot by posting a
picture of the leaves the weed had last year or any dead bits of top
growth. Many roots look pretty similar, but white fleshy rooted
pernicious weeds tend to be either ground elder or bindweed.

Ground elder is low growing has elder like leaves and frothy cream
umbelliferous flowers - the Romans imported it as a cure for gout.
Bindweed is a thin leggy climber with pretty trumpet like white or pink
flowers. In some clay soils some species isn't even much of a weed. YMMV

But whatever it is.. fork it loose, pick it out.

Janet

Although it is probably wise to hit it with glyphosate when it starts to
grow and every time new shoots are seen (actually with any weedkiller
you are using every time you use any). Either will take considerable
punishment and will need both chemical and physical attack for a couple
of years to eliminate completely.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? Jay Chan Gardening 56 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? possibly OT Salty Thumb Gardening 0 22-06-2004 11:04 PM
weeds? Pam Gardening 16 25-03-2003 03:20 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM