Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Banned

Post Advice on my overgrown garden (inc pics!)

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a house with a 30x90ft garden, which was massively overgrown:

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/1193/gardenold.jpg

I have since spent quite a bit of time pulling out all of the old bushes and trees, burning as I go. As you can see, I've certainly made progress:

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/5903/garden2b.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img6/6974/garden3u.jpg

However, I am now moving towards being in a position whereby:
  • There are lots of roots in the ground from the large bushes / small trees
  • I have attempted to remove the bramble roots, but not done a great job - lots left in there / hidden
  • I want to remove all of this, and then lay grass!

My plan is to hire a mini excavator (it's about 800cm wide - will fit through the door in my garange!) and pull up the remaining large roots (e.g. against the fence on the left, and over on the right).

I plan to use the excavator/digger to pull up the small amount of grass that exists, and also level the ground a bit more.

I then plan to get a heavy duty (13 horse power) rotorator, and use it across the whole area. I hope that this will pull up any roots / weeds / stones which are under the surface, so that they can be easily picked up and removed.

The rotorator should also leave the ground in a good condition to lay grass seed... I hope.

I wanted to check with you guys regarding this - have I missed anything or am I going about anything the wrong way? I am aware a rotivator is going to blitz certain roots (e.g. the brambles), but I am unsure how else to get rid of something dotted hidden across a garden of this size. Obviously the mini digger will identify some bits...

Please do advise / help - I was hoping to get the digger this weekend and do most of the digger work, with the rotivator the following weekend. I can only spend weekends on this due to work, and we have some extra help (probably 3-4 of us each day).

Does this all sound achievable?