Old 18-04-2013, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fresias

Not so much in the garden as in the shops as cut flowers.

At one time there used to be an almost constant supply in the shops, but I
haven't seen any for ages.

Any idea why?

Cheers

Dave R
Old 18-04-2013, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote

Not so much in the garden as in the shops as cut flowers.

At one time there used to be an almost constant supply in the shops, but I
haven't seen any for ages.

Any idea why?

I wonder if it's because if they grow them like other cut flowers they lose
their scent and without scent they aren't much.
Parked in a Car Park today and the verge behind our car was covered in
violets, stunning.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-04-2013, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2013 17:05, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote

Not so much in the garden as in the shops as cut flowers.

At one time there used to be an almost constant supply in the shops,
but I
haven't seen any for ages.

Any idea why?

I wonder if it's because if they grow them like other cut flowers they
lose their scent and without scent they aren't much.
Parked in a Car Park today and the verge behind our car was covered in
violets, stunning.

They're still around, but as with all things Fashions change, also they
are lost in the bins that the Supermarkets sell their flowers from, go
to a good florist and almost certainly they will have them, if not
today, then they will have them for you tomorrow,
Like looking for mutton, not in the supermarkets
Old 18-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_5_] View Post
Not so much in the garden as in the shops as cut flowers.

At one time there used to be an almost constant supply in the shops, but I
haven't seen any for ages.

Any idea why?

Cheers

Dave R
The probable reason is that in years gone by, Freesias were in flower in nurseries and shops after Daffs and Tulips were finished making them a desirable flower to continue the spring vase display in our homes.

Now, Daffs and Tulips are hybridised to flower for much longer and having beautiful scent making Freesias less wanted. When my wife and I and baby in 1969 went to Holland in early May to see the bulb fields and the fantastic park at Keukenhof for the first time. the displays of Tulips, Hyacinths, hugh drifts of grape hyacinths, etc. etc. were wonderful but the Daffs were completely finished!

20 years later when we went again in early to mid May everything including the Daffs and Narcissi were also in full flower, again, due to hybridising. If you have not been to Holland in spring, I can recommend a sight you will never forget.
Old 18-04-2013, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-18 17:34:57 +0100, David Hill said:

On 18/04/2013 17:05, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote

Not so much in the garden as in the shops as cut flowers.

At one time there used to be an almost constant supply in the shops,
but I
haven't seen any for ages.

Any idea why?

I wonder if it's because if they grow them like other cut flowers they
lose their scent and without scent they aren't much.
Parked in a Car Park today and the verge behind our car was covered in
violets, stunning.

They're still around, but as with all things Fashions change, also they
are lost in the bins that the Supermarkets sell their flowers from, go
to a good florist and almost certainly they will have them, if not
today, then they will have them for you tomorrow,
Like looking for mutton, not in the supermarkets

Matthew grows them in hanging baskets in the greenhouse, just for the
family. Smell is divine! They're not hanging basket plants but this
gives them what they need and they flower really well.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-04-2013, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-18 17:34:57 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

What's the secret to growing freesias? I have tried a few times and
never had a flower, nor much leaf either.
A friend has just given me a few bulbs (6) and I've put them in a pot.
Now what? Inside or out? (no greenhouse)
I remember seeing and smelling them in a polytunnel in Guernsey and
they looked and smelled divine. I bought some bulbs there, result NIL.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-04-2013, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-18 17:34:57 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

Guernsey freesias! I send some to my mother occasionally, who lives
there. It's her favourite flower. I know a friend in Jersey grew them
outside her front door in sun and gravel over good loamy soil. I would
think some of the gravel had probably got into the soil over time so
while it was a good soil, it was also well-drained. I'll ask Matthew
what goes into the hanging baskets before they're planted here. But
here, they're under glass, of course. Inside on a sunny windowsill
might work and don't water them much at all.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-04-2013, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-18 17:34:57 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

I'd pot them and stand them outside now unless there is heavy frost due.
I've flowered them in pots outside.
David @ the sunny end of Swansea Bay