Old 20-04-2013, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snail problems

We think we have problems.................
Florida, US is fighting a slimy infestation by one of the world's most
destructive invasive species, the giant African land snail, which can
grow as big as a rat and gnaw through stucco and plaster.

The invasion is taking place in South Florida where more than 1,000
snails are being caught in Miami-Dade with a sum of 117,000 already
caught since the first one which was spotted in September 2011. The
molluscs are known to attack over 500 known species of plants and
anything they come across that is green.

Caribbean countries, such as Barbados are normally overrun with these
creatures with their shells blowing out tires on the highway and causing
problems in lawnmower blades and their slime coating walls and pavement.
This particular species can produce about 1,200 eggs a year and are
pests in homes.
Old 20-04-2013, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

We think we have problems.................
Florida, US is fighting a slimy infestation by one of the world's most
destructive invasive species, the giant African land snail, which can
grow as big as a rat and gnaw through stucco and plaster.

The invasion is taking place in South Florida where more than 1,000
snails are being caught in Miami-Dade with a sum of 117,000 already
caught since the first one which was spotted in September 2011. The
molluscs are known to attack over 500 known species of plants and
anything they come across that is green.

Caribbean countries, such as Barbados are normally overrun with these
creatures with their shells blowing out tires on the highway and causing
problems in lawnmower blades and their slime coating walls and pavement.
This particular species can produce about 1,200 eggs a year and are
pests in homes.
.................................................. .............

My sister has one of her houses in Florida, no wonder she wants to sell it!!

Mike

Old 20-04-2013, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/04/2013 12:42, Janet wrote:
In article ,
lid says...

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:34:04 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 08:50:34 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

We think we have problems.................
Florida, US is fighting a slimy infestation by one of the world's most
destructive invasive species, the giant African land snail, which can
grow as big as a rat and gnaw through stucco and plaster.

The invasion is taking place in South Florida where more than 1,000
snails are being caught in Miami-Dade with a sum of 117,000 already
caught since the first one which was spotted in September 2011. The
molluscs are known to attack over 500 known species of plants and
anything they come across that is green.

Caribbean countries, such as Barbados are normally overrun with these
creatures with their shells blowing out tires on the highway and causing
problems in lawnmower blades and their slime coating walls and pavement.
This particular species can produce about 1,200 eggs a year and are
pests in homes.

At least they're edible!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achatina_achatina

Are they carnivorous? They might eat you first :-)

Not me.. I can outrun a snail.

Janet.

Not if you are having a good snooze in the shade after a hard mornings
gardening