Old 27-04-2013, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Somerleyton Hall Gardens

Now that former Head Gardener Bob Coutts has been made redundant from Somerleyton Hall, how long before the once colourful and beautiful gardens revert to boring and green parkland.
What a pity that common sense and wisdom are not always inherited with the fine house and fortune.
Old 29-04-2013, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, April 27, 2013 10:26:56 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Now that former Head Gardener Bob Coutts has been made redundant from Somerleyton Hall, how long before the once colourful and beautiful gardens revert to boring and green parkland.

What a pity that common sense and wisdom are not always inherited with the fine house and fortune.

I would guess that the celebrated maze is also probably doomed in the fullness of time
Tony Bull
www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk
Old 07-05-2013, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, April 29, 2013 1:36:09 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, April 27, 2013 10:26:56 PM UTC+1, wrote:

Now that former Head Gardener Bob Coutts has been made redundant from Somerleyton Hall, how long before the once colourful and beautiful gardens revert to boring and green parkland.

What a pity that common sense and wisdom are not always inherited with the fine house and fortune.

I would guess that the celebrated maze is also probably doomed in the fullness of time

Tony Bull

www.caterpillarfountain.co.uk

I am surprised that no one else has commented on the demise of the gardens of Somerleyton Hall.
I guess apathy kills everything in the end.
Tony Bull www,caterpillarfountain.co.uk
Old 07-05-2013, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tony wrote

Now that former Head Gardener Bob Coutts has been made redundant from
Somerleyton Hall, how long before the once colourful and beautiful
gardens revert to boring and green parkland.

What a pity that common sense and wisdom are not always inherited with
the fine house and fortune.

I would guess that the celebrated maze is also probably doomed in the
fullness of time

I am surprised that no one else has commented on the demise of the gardens
of Somerleyton Hall.
I guess apathy kills everything in the end.

Not apathy, I certainly hadn't heard of the House/Garden before. I therefor
don't know what it is or what's in it worth keeping and am unable to
comment. Perhaps others here are the same.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:12:42 PM UTC+1, Bob Hobden wrote:
Tony wrote

Now that former Head Gardener Bob Coutts has been made redundant from

Somerleyton Hall, how long before the once colourful and beautiful

gardens revert to boring and green parkland.

What a pity that common sense and wisdom are not always inherited with

the fine house and fortune.

I would guess that the celebrated maze is also probably doomed in the

fullness of time

I am surprised that no one else has commented on the demise of the gardens

of Somerleyton Hall.

I guess apathy kills everything in the end.

Not apathy, I certainly hadn't heard of the House/Garden before. I therefor

don't know what it is or what's in it worth keeping and am unable to

comment. Perhaps others here are the same.

--

Regards. Bob Hobden.

It used to be full of rare and exotic plants and was very popular with gardening clubs all over the country, now it is full of boring box shrubs and hedging.
The yew maze is second only to the one in Hampton Court. The lawns were used to test the first Hovercraft and there is a pathetic monument to the fact in Somerleyton village itself.
cheers