Old 06-05-2013, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Desperate Times

B&Q - What a Shambles - I have had health problems once again
and most of my plot and garden this year are well "poorly"

Time then to venture to the garden centre where wheel chair
access is good and you are able to borrow an electric cart
The types of plants - shrubs - trees on offer were quite
many and varied but!

The vast majority of these specimens were dead or close to the
great compost bin in the sky all to a lack of water

I then went home empty handed and will now use the internet

...............Leslie
Old 07-05-2013, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 06 May 2013 15:45:10 +0100, Leslie
wrote:

B&Q - What a Shambles - I have had health problems once again
and most of my plot and garden this year are well "poorly"

Time then to venture to the garden centre where wheel chair
access is good and you are able to borrow an electric cart
The types of plants - shrubs - trees on offer were quite
many and varied but!

The vast majority of these specimens were dead or close to the
great compost bin in the sky all to a lack of water

I then went home empty handed and will now use the internet

...............Leslie

There are three B&Qs within driving distance. The unwatered plant
phenomenon is common to all. With 6-packs selling for around £5-6,
there must be close on £1000 worth of dead bedding plants in each. And
the sheds say profits are falling. I do laugh when I see signs saying
"everything in this rack half price". £3 for a lump of polystyrene and
some crusty compost?

When the local garden centre was owned by "Wyevale", death by drought
was a surprisingly frequent occurrence. The new independent owners
employ waterers morning and evening, outside opening times. What a
difference. And they've installed some shaded canopies too!

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

When I took the wife to Warafrin clinic today I was talking to one of
the nurses who said she had gone to the Swansea Wyevale GC yesterday and
they were busy watering everything and everyone just after lunch, so it
could be they are learning.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Yeah! Watering in the high heat of the day. Forget the old-wives tales
about leaf scorch, just accept that most of the moisture will
evaporate before it does any good.

We've just been through an extremely hot weekend. Plants in my
greenhouses went unwatered from early Friday morning until yesterday
evening when I could reduce to a single crutch without yelping. That's
4 hot days. But they're all ok. So drought death equates, I guess, to
more than 4 days without water.

--
Cheers, Jake