Old 11-05-2013, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wasps and Pears

I didn't know creosote was banned, as chance would have it I was talking
with a neighbour farmer about the need to creosote my rail fence soon. I
wonder if farmers are still allowed to use it; there are tons of wood
fencing around here at the big stud farms.

Does anyone know what replaces creosote for treating wood fencing?

Sorry for the thread drift, wasps bother my pears too.

-E

There is a total ban on creosote but Staples have a creosote substitute
on offer this month
Old 11-05-2013, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/05/2013 15:28, David Hill wrote:

I didn't know creosote was banned, as chance would have it I was talking
with a neighbour farmer about the need to creosote my rail fence soon. I
wonder if farmers are still allowed to use it; there are tons of wood
fencing around here at the big stud farms.

Does anyone know what replaces creosote for treating wood fencing?

Sorry for the thread drift, wasps bother my pears too.

-E

There is a total ban on creosote but Staples have a creosote substitute
on offer this month

SORRY I should have said Selco
http://www.selcobw.com/special-offer...05/creocote-3/
Old 12-05-2013, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...
ng that Wright's withdrew using coal tar
as a result of the European directive, but it seems it's still
permitted in shampoo because it's very effective at curing 'scalp
psoriasis', which I assume is, or at least includes, dandruff.

See
http://tinyurl.com/cb5ndla

only for prescription products.

As already said, coaltar SHAMPOO is available in the UK, over the
counter, without prescription.

Here's the contents of a common one, available OTC in any chemist

http://www.neutrogena.com/category/hair/t-gel-.do

here's the NHS telling how to use it

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dandruf...Overview.aspx?
medicine=Neutrogena%20T-Gel%20shampoo

Janet

There's also lots available on AmazonUK, priced in UKP.
http://tinyurl.com/cw632mz

I've never bought any, but I see no mention of a prescription
requirement.

Among other places it is mentioned in the Wiki entry for Wrights Coal
Tar soap and there are references on the web in several places to an
EU directive issued in 2004 banning the use of coal tar products in
cosmetics.

Here's wiki's entry on EU directives

" A directive is a legislative act of the European Union, which
requires member states to achieve a particular result without dictating
the means of achieving that result. It can be distinguished from
regulations which are self-executing and do not require any implementing
measures. Directives normally leave member states with a certain amount
of leeway as to the exact rules to be adopted."

For example
http://www.natural-skincare-authority.com/coal-tar.html

LOL, check out who calls himself a "natural skincare authority"..

http://www.natural-skincare-authorit...am-waters.html

A quick google turns up EU Cosmetics Directive 1999 Regulation (EC) No
1223/2009

that does not come into force until July 2013. You can read it here

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?
uri=CELEX:32009R1223:EN:NOT

Note, in definitions of cosmetic they distinguish between products
intended to be applied and left on the skin/hairnails, and products
intended to be applied and immediately rinsed off.

The list of banned cosmetic ingredients is in annex2 ; coaltar
ingredients start between 617 and 621.

The specific, conditional definitions/dilutions of substances found in
coal tar, don't sound like a total blanket ban on every active
ingredient of coaltar.

However, I can assure you that right now coaltar shampoo is both sold
OTC in UK and permitted by NICE to be used in the NHS (otherwise, it
would not be promoted on the NHS advisory website I quoted).

I have rather more faith in NICE's medical and legal advisors capacity
to interpret or apply EU directives, than the "natural" dermatological
authority of an American bodybuilder and photoshoot poseur.

Janet.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 12 May 2013 12:51:13 +0100, Janet wrote:

However, I can assure you that right now coaltar shampoo is both sold
OTC in UK and permitted by NICE to be used in the NHS (otherwise, it
would not be promoted on the NHS advisory website I quoted).

I would be upset if it becomes unavailable, it's the only effective
treatment I've ever found. Perhaps I should lay in a stock...

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy