Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wasps and Pears

We have a Concord (?) pear, which can produce very tasty, juicy fruit
and it is currently covered in blossom.

The last 3-4 years, as the fruit begins to ripen, wasps start eating the
fruit just at the base of the stem - fruit then rots and/or drops off.

Any suggestions for preventing the little black and yellow ^&%*£!! from
doing this.

Larry
Old 09-05-2013, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
We have a Concord (?) pear, which can produce very tasty, juicy fruit
and it is currently covered in blossom.

The last 3-4 years, as the fruit begins to ripen, wasps start eating the
fruit just at the base of the stem - fruit then rots and/or drops off.

Any suggestions for preventing the little black and yellow ^&%*£!! from
doing this.

Dunno how big it is, but can you fleece it?
--
Pete C

Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2013 21:30, Larry Stoter wrote:
We have a Concord (?) pear, which can produce very tasty, juicy fruit
and it is currently covered in blossom.

The last 3-4 years, as the fruit begins to ripen, wasps start eating the
fruit just at the base of the stem - fruit then rots and/or drops off.

Any suggestions for preventing the little black and yellow ^&%*£!! from
doing this.

Larry

You just have to pick them just before they are ripe.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete C wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
We have a Concord (?) pear, which can produce very tasty, juicy fruit
and it is currently covered in blossom.

The last 3-4 years, as the fruit begins to ripen, wasps start eating the
fruit just at the base of the stem - fruit then rots and/or drops off.

Any suggestions for preventing the little black and yellow ^&%*£!! from
doing this.

Dunno how big it is, but can you fleece it?

Just about and that's the only possible solution I'd come up with ...

Larry
Old 10-05-2013, 06:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

On 09/05/2013 21:30, Larry Stoter wrote:
We have a Concord (?) pear, which can produce very tasty, juicy fruit
and it is currently covered in blossom.

The last 3-4 years, as the fruit begins to ripen, wasps start eating the
fruit just at the base of the stem - fruit then rots and/or drops off.

Any suggestions for preventing the little black and yellow ^&%*£!! from
doing this.

Larry

You just have to pick them just before they are ripe.

The wasps start on them well before that, sometimes when they are only
half grown .....

Larry

Old 10-05-2013, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Larry Stoter wrote:
We have a Concord (?) pear, which can produce very tasty, juicy fruit
and it is currently covered in blossom.

The last 3-4 years, as the fruit begins to ripen, wasps start eating the
fruit just at the base of the stem - fruit then rots and/or drops off.

Any suggestions for preventing the little black and yellow ^&%*?!! from
doing this.

Dunno how big it is, but can you fleece it?

Just about and that's the only possible solution I'd come up with ...

How about one of those 'fake' wasp nest thingies hung in the tree to scare
them off? THat's what Nick uses to keep the wasps away from his bees, and
it seems to work.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

On 2013-05-10 09:41:43 +0100, Martin said:

On Fri, 10 May 2013 08:53:25 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Thu, 9 May 2013 21:30:29 +0100,
(Larry Stoter) wrote:

We have a Concord (?) pear, which can produce very tasty, juicy fruit
and it is currently covered in blossom.

The last 3-4 years, as the fruit begins to ripen, wasps start eating the
fruit just at the base of the stem - fruit then rots and/or drops off.

Any suggestions for preventing the little black and yellow ^&%*£!! from
doing this.

Larry

Spraying the fruit with a very dilute carbolic soap mix keeps wasps
away.

Can you still buy carbolic soap? The soap that I bought thinking it
was carbolic wasn't. It used chemicals to give it the smell.

Swish a bit of Coal Tar soap around in a bucket?

The Wrights coal tar soap that I bought was only coal tar by name.
EU/H&S has killed the real thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright's_Coal_Tar_Soap
"The soap is now made in Turkey for the current owners of the brand,
Simple Health and Beauty Ltd based in Solihull in the UK and is called
Wright's Traditional Soap. As European Union directives on cosmetics
have banned the use of coal-tar in non-prescription products, the coal
tar derivatives have been removed from the formula, replacing them
with tea tree oil as main anti-bacterial ingredient. Despite this
major variance from the original recipe, the new soap has been made to
approximate the look and smell of the original product."

It says so on the wrapper.

Tar and epoxy tar antifouling for boats went the same way.

Coal tar shampoos are easily available in the UK, both OTC and
prescription.

Janet

Old 10-05-2013, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 May 2013 12:06:33 +0100, Janet wrote:

Tar and epoxy tar antifouling for boats went the same way.

Coal tar shampoos are easily available in the UK, both OTC and
prescription.

Was about to say, as I still use one! Original T-gel, not a prescription
product.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 10-05-2013, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 May 2013 23:24:10 +0200, Martin wrote:

Despite the EU ban on coal tar products?

I couldn't say, I've never heard of the ban. But I have bought it for
ever in France, and England as well (although not for years).

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 10-05-2013, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:
On Fri, 10 May 2013 23:24:10 +0200, Martin wrote:

Despite the EU ban on coal tar products?

I couldn't say, I've never heard of the ban. But I have bought it for
ever in France, and England as well (although not for years).

The ban predated the EU by a decade or more, despite the hysterical
claims of the Euroseptics. It was entirely a UK matter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Despite the EU ban on coal tar products?

I couldn't say, I've never heard of the ban. But I have bought it for
ever in France, and England as well (although not for years).

The ban predated the EU by a decade or more, despite the hysterical
claims of the Euroseptics. It was entirely a UK matter.

I am not a Euroseptic. EU bans are almost always for a good reason.
I hadn't realised that the EU ban was relatively recent.
Coal tar products, such as creosote, were banned in The Netherlands at
least 20 years ago.

I was referring specifically to Wright's soap which, if I recall,
stopped using real coal tar in the 1950s or 1960s, at which time
there was some sort of ban. But my memory of that is hazy.

A lot of such products from my childhood have been stopped and
I have no regrets - and not just on safety. Have you ever used
the original Gibbs SR? SR stands for Sodium Resorcinate, which
is a soap (and, yes, that is exactly what it tasted like).
Yellow block soap. (Real) TCP for cuts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.