Old 10-05-2013, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garden myths debunked

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...myths-debunked

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...myths-debunked

-9 +2.

No, water does not "sit above gravel" in pots. Physics is not mocked.

While copper does build up and can be harmful, this is not a problem
for domestic use.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

What does nature do?

I am well aware that you are all experts, but I feel sure that you will
agree that nature has far more experience that posters on this newsg

Old 10-05-2013, 11:13 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
In article ,
Sacha
wrote:
Nine gardening myths debunked | Life and style | The Observer

-9 +2.

No, water does not "sit above gravel" in pots. Physics is not mocked.
.
I think what they're trying to say is that water doesn't drain until the soil is saturated; until that point pretty well all the water is in the soil (ie above the gravel). Just as if you put a damp sponge on top of a layer of gravel, it would stay damp, and wouldn't drain all its water down into the gravel. The gravel wouldn't get appreciably wet until the sponge was sopping wet and the water started falling out of it. So all you're doing by adding a layer of gravel is making the pot smaller.
__________________
Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(http://tinyurl.com/clpbejp) -

-9 +2.

No, water does not "sit above gravel" in pots. Physics is not mocked.

I think what they're trying to say is that water doesn't drain until the
soil is saturated; until that point pretty well all the water is in the
soil (ie above the gravel). Just as if you put a damp sponge on top of a
layer of gravel, it would stay damp, and wouldn't drain all its water
down into the gravel. The gravel wouldn't get appreciably wet until the
sponge was sopping wet and the water started falling out of it. So all
you're doing by adding a layer of gravel is making the pot smaller.

Very likely. That's still wrong.

The point is that the drainage hole area is small, and it often
gets clogged with a layer of humus held up by larger particles.
A layer of gravel in the bottom means that the pot will clog
only when the layer of humus covers the whole area. It's exactly
the same principle used to strain the wort through the mash in
brewing. A layer of gravel works, at least with John Innes style
composts.

However, there is a second factor, too. Most soils have TWO
saturation levels: the maximum they can hold without draining,
and the maximum they can hold in the short term. In my (fine)
sandy loam, they are very different, and the former doesn't
cause any trouble to growing plants (not even ones that hate
waterlogging) because there is still plenty of air. Gravel
provides somewhere for the water to go when that level is
reached in larger pots.

Where I fully agree is that there is a myth that adding a layer
of gravel will necessarily make a pot well-drained. That is
complete nonsense. But gravel in pots works, if used properly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 11 May 2013 00:13:24 +0200, kay wrote:

No, water does not "sit above gravel" in pots. Physics is not mocked.
.

Water does jumping jacks on gravel while laughing heinously.

I think what they're trying to say is that water doesn't drain until the
soil is saturated; until that point pretty well all the water is in the
soil (ie above the gravel). Just as if you put a damp sponge on top of a
layer of gravel, it would stay damp, and wouldn't drain all its water
down into the gravel. The gravel wouldn't get appreciably wet until the
sponge was sopping wet and the water started falling out of it. So all
you're doing by adding a layer of gravel is making the pot smaller.

I had a very good article exploring water movement across soil
architecture boundaries, (e.g. small to large particle size), but can't
find it.

The famous Dr. Linda gives lots of excellent advice, but it should also
be remembered that she gardens in a remarkably fertile and clement place,
the US Pacific NW. For example she says we should never amend soil at
planting time, but if I followed that advice I would have hardly a shrub
in the garden. (I have to amend and mound plant, otherwise everything
gets wet feet in winter and cant establish).

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Garden Myths Higgs Boson Gardening 0 07-05-2012 06:08 PM
Crows eradicated in DC, Paghat debunked animaux Gardening 32 29-01-2003 06:01 PM
Crows eradicated in DC, Paghat debunked IntarsiaCo Gardening 2 28-01-2003 05:57 PM