Old 12-05-2013, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Have you heard about this?

My German friend sent me this e-mail today

"you may have heard about it, but I didn't realise just how bad this new law
about "plant reproductive material" will be, should it ever be passed by the
EU parliament.

Please, if you haven't done so far, read this

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlaw.html

and sign the petitions.
I am totally appalled by the mere thought of this madness.

Thank you for your support
Nüle

--
"We have the best government that money can buy."
? Mark Twain= "

I've signed, not least because I get heritage seeds from her which she gets
from a seed bank in the Netherlands and it looks like it will be illegal for
the seed bank to make these seeds available to the general public if this
law is passed.

Tina

Old 12-05-2013, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 12 May 2013 20:03:23 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

My German friend sent me this e-mail today

"you may have heard about it, but I didn't realise just how bad this new law
about "plant reproductive material" will be, should it ever be passed by the
EU parliament.

Please, if you haven't done so far, read this

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlaw.html

and sign the petitions.
I am totally appalled by the mere thought of this madness.

Thank you for your support

You may want to have a look at my post of 26 April in the thread 'More
EC Tomfoolery' which covers this.
--
rbel
Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlaw.html

Quote "Under the new law, it will immediately be illegal to grow,
reproduce or trade any vegetable seed or tree that has not been tested
and approved"

That is a gross misrepresentation of what the legislation says.

http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/health_consu...oposal_aphp_en.
pdf

Page 16, para 27,

"Plant reproductive material which is made available on the market
only in limited quantities by small producers (?niche market
plant reproductive material?) should be
exempted from the requirement of belonging to a registered variety. That
derogation is necessary to prevent undue constraints to the making
available on the market of plant reproductive material, which is of
lesser commercial interest, but is important for the
maintenance of genetic diversity. "

That statement appears to exclude Heritage seeds (and small
producers/traders in Heritage seeds) from the need to register
varieties.

Paras 36 and 37 also appear to derogate Heritage material

Plus, there will be no restriction or registration requirement on non-
commercfial exchanges of seed between private individuals

Janet
Old 13-05-2013, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

Plus, there will be no restriction or registration requirement on non-
commercfial exchanges of seed between private individuals

but she gets her heritage seeds from a seed bank that is "commercial"
Anyway I leave it up to you all to decide.

Old 13-05-2013, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

My German friend sent me this e-mail today

"you may have heard about it, but I didn't realise just how bad this new
law
about "plant reproductive material" will be, should it ever be passed by
the
EU parliament.

Please, if you haven't done so far, read this

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlaw.html

and sign the petitions.
I am totally appalled by the mere thought of this madness.

Thank you for your support

You may want to have a look at my post of 26 April in the thread 'More
EC Tomfoolery' which covers this.

Unfortunately I missed this. I don't keep up as much as I should, don't
have enough time to read everything, have 1532 unread posts on here :-(

Old 14-05-2013, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote ...

[...]

But what does that do to firms like Thomas Etty Esq that trade in heritage
seeds only.

http://www.thomasetty.co.uk/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.