GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Please tell me this isn't giant ground elder (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207291-please-tell-me-isnt-giant-ground-elder.html)

RustyHinge 06-06-2013 01:38 PM

Please tell me this isn't giant ground elder

On 05/06/13 08:50, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 04/06/13 22:58, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

/hogweed/

I've handled the leaves without ill effect - but think I'll proceed with
caution. Cooking it sounds tempting though!

You want to be 110% certain of the identity, particularly with
umbellifers, which contain some rather toxic plants.

This is very true.

OTOH, many herbs and spices from the huge angelica to the small ground
elder have been used since the dawn of time.

Some of them, like hemlock, were used for killing people.

Wasn't that juiceof the tree?

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge 06-06-2013 01:40 PM

On 05/06/13 12:26, Blenny wrote:

Janet;984630 Wrote:
In article ,
says...-

On 04/06/13 22:58, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

/hogweed/
--
I've handled the leaves without ill effect - but think I'll proceed
with
caution. Cooking it sounds tempting though!-

You want to be 110% certain of the identity, particularly with
umbellifers, which contain some rather toxic plants.-

This is very true.

OTOH, many herbs and spices from the huge angelica to the small ground

elder have been used since the dawn of time.-

Some of them, like hemlock, were used for killing people.

Janet

What a lot of interesting info, thanks everyone! I don't plan to do
anything until the plants produce some flowers, which they show no sign
of at the moment.

Well, you'll need to wait until next spring for the young shoots.But the
wait will be worth it.

Find some fat hen or other goosefoot - treated like spinach, they taste
like a cross between spinach and asparagus.

--
Rusty Hinge

Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] 07-06-2013 11:50 AM

On 06/06/2013 13:38, RustyHinge wrote:
On 05/06/13 08:50, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 04/06/13 22:58, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

/hogweed/

I've handled the leaves without ill effect - but think I'll proceed
with
caution. Cooking it sounds tempting though!

You want to be 110% certain of the identity, particularly with
umbellifers, which contain some rather toxic plants.

This is very true.

OTOH, many herbs and spices from the huge angelica to the small ground
elder have been used since the dawn of time.

Some of them, like hemlock, were used for killing people.

Wasn't that juiceof the tree?

"Tsuga (/ˈsuːɡə/, from Japanese: * (ツガ), the name of Tsuga sieboldii)
is a genus of conifers in the pine family Pinaceae. The common name
hemlock is derived from a perceived similarity in the smell of its
crushed foliage to that of the unrelated plant poison hemlock. Unlike
the latter, Tsuga species are not poisonous.

There are eight, nine, or ten species within the genus (depending on the
authority), with four species occurring in North America and four to six
in eastern Asia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuga

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley