Old 30-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Stafford area
Default Please tell me this isn't giant ground elder

I have an overgrown bank under trees and bushes; apart from bluebells and daffodils in season, it has nettles, ground elder, garlic mustard, goosegrass, ivy etc that I try and keep under control. I now have this thing - it's thigh-high with long red hairy stems and big leaves (about hand-sized). I'm hoping it's not ground-elder gone triffid-size. Can anyone identify it please? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Please tell me this isn't giant ground elder-st836731a.jpg
Old 30-05-2013, 09:28 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenny View Post
I have an overgrown bank under trees and bushes; apart from bluebells and daffodils in season, it has nettles, ground elder, garlic mustard, goosegrass, ivy etc that I try and keep under control. I now have this thing - it's thigh-high with long red hairy stems and big leaves (about hand-sized). I'm hoping it's not ground-elder gone triffid-size. Can anyone identify it please? Thanks.
It looks like hogweed, which is not a problem. If it carries on growing till it is taller than you, it may be giant hogweed, which can cause skin rashes.
__________________
Old 30-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Stafford area

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
It looks like hogweed, which is not a problem. If it carries on growing till it is taller than you, it may be giant hogweed, which can cause skin rashes.
Thanks Kay. I'll leave it alone for the moment then.
Old 30-05-2013, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/05/2013 19:31, Blenny wrote:

I have an overgrown bank under trees and bushes; apart from bluebells
and daffodils in season, it has nettles, ground elder, garlic mustard,
goosegrass, ivy etc that I try and keep under control. I now have this
thing - it's thigh-high with long red hairy stems and big leaves (about
hand-sized). I'm hoping it's not ground-elder gone triffid-size. Can
anyone identify it please? Thanks.

|Filename: ST836731a.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15573|

Hogweed (Heracleum sphondylium).

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 31-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Registered User

Location: Stafford area

Thanks Stewart. Looks as if it might be good for insects then.

[/i][/color]
Hogweed (Heracleum sphondylium).

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley[/quote]

Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/05/13 21:35, Blenny wrote:
kay;984303 Wrote:
It looks like hogweed, which is not a problem. If it carries on growing
till it is taller than you, it may be giant hogweed, which can cause
skin rashes.

Thanks Kay. I'll leave it alone for the moment then.

If it *is* hogweed (not the giant variety) the very young shoots make a
good vegetable.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"RustyHinge" wrote in message
On 30/05/13 21:35, Blenny wrote:
kay;984303 Wrote:
It looks like hogweed, which is not a problem. If it carries on growing
till it is taller than you, it may be giant hogweed, which can cause
skin rashes.

Thanks Kay. I'll leave it alone for the moment then.

If it *is* hogweed (not the giant variety) the very young shoots make a
good vegetable.

--
Rusty Hinge

Ordinary hogweed also causes skin rashes if you get the sap on you then
allow sunlight to get to it.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 04-06-2013, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/05/13 21:35, Blenny wrote:
kay;984303 Wrote:
It looks like hogweed, which is not a problem. If it carries on growing
till it is taller than you, it may be giant hogweed, which can cause
skin rashes.

Thanks Kay. I'll leave it alone for the moment then.

If it *is* hogweed (not the giant variety) the very young shoots make
a good vegetable.

Ordinary hogweed also causes skin rashes if you get the sap on you then
allow sunlight to get to it.

I used to collect it by the barrowload for my host of wabbits. I don't
know how many gallons of sap I must have had flow over my hands with no
ill effect.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 04-06-2013, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2013 18:54, Blenny wrote:
RustyHinge;984582 Wrote:
On 04/06/13 08:52, Charlie Pridham wrote:-

"RustyHinge" wrote in message
...-
On 30/05/13 21:35, Blenny wrote:-
kay;984303 Wrote:
It looks like hogweed, which is not a problem. If it carries on
growing
till it is taller than you, it may be giant hogweed, which can cause
skin rashes.

Thanks Kay. I'll leave it alone for the moment then.-

If it *is* hogweed (not the giant variety) the very young shoots make
a good vegetable.-

Ordinary hogweed also causes skin rashes if you get the sap on you
then
allow sunlight to get to it.-

I used to collect it by the barrowload for my host of wabbits. I don't
know how many gallons of sap I must have had flow over my hands with no

ill effect.

--
Rusty Hinge

I've handled the leaves without ill effect - but think I'll proceed with
caution. Cooking it sounds tempting though!

You want to be 110% certain of the identity, particularly with
umbellifers, which contain some rather toxic plants.

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/13 18:54, Blenny wrote:

/hogweed/
I've handled the leaves without ill effect - but think I'll proceed with
caution. Cooking it sounds tempting though!

While the shoots are curled-up rather like bracken shoots.

Those, fat hen, and other wild foods were my staple from 2006 - 2008ish.

DWP cocked-up paying me my state pension for two and a half years,so it
was live off the land, starve, or turn to crime.

Fortunately, I have amassed a useful knowledge of edible plants, fungi,
and am a good shot.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/13 22:58, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

/hogweed/

I've handled the leaves without ill effect - but think I'll proceed with
caution. Cooking it sounds tempting though!

You want to be 110% certain of the identity, particularly with
umbellifers, which contain some rather toxic plants.

This is very true.

OTOH, many herbs and spices from the huge angelica to the small ground
elder have been used since the dawn of time.

--
Rusty Hinge