Old 04-06-2013, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please tell me this isn't giant ground elder

On 04/06/13 08:52, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"RustyHinge" wrote in message
On 30/05/13 21:35, Blenny wrote:
kay;984303 Wrote:
It looks like hogweed, which is not a problem. If it carries on growing
till it is taller than you, it may be giant hogweed, which can cause
skin rashes.

Thanks Kay. I'll leave it alone for the moment then.

If it *is* hogweed (not the giant variety) the very young shoots make
a good vegetable.

Ordinary hogweed also causes skin rashes if you get the sap on you then
allow sunlight to get to it.

I used to collect it by the barrowload for my host of wabbits. I don't
know how many gallons of sap I must have had flow over my hands with no
ill effect.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 05-06-2013, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/13 22:58, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

/hogweed/

I've handled the leaves without ill effect - but think I'll proceed with
caution. Cooking it sounds tempting though!

You want to be 110% certain of the identity, particularly with
umbellifers, which contain some rather toxic plants.

This is very true.

OTOH, many herbs and spices from the huge angelica to the small ground
elder have been used since the dawn of time.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/06/2013 13:38, RustyHinge wrote:
On 05/06/13 08:50, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 04/06/13 22:58, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

/hogweed/

I've handled the leaves without ill effect - but think I'll proceed
with
caution. Cooking it sounds tempting though!

You want to be 110% certain of the identity, particularly with
umbellifers, which contain some rather toxic plants.

This is very true.

OTOH, many herbs and spices from the huge angelica to the small ground
elder have been used since the dawn of time.

Some of them, like hemlock, were used for killing people.

Wasn't that juiceof the tree?

"Tsuga (/ˈsuːɡə/, from Japanese: * (ツガ), the name of Tsuga sieboldii)
is a genus of conifers in the pine family Pinaceae. The common name
hemlock is derived from a perceived similarity in the smell of its
crushed foliage to that of the unrelated plant poison hemlock. Unlike
the latter, Tsuga species are not poisonous.

There are eight, nine, or ten species within the genus (depending on the
authority), with four species occurring in North America and four to six
in eastern Asia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuga

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 05-06-2013, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/13 18:54, Blenny wrote:

/hogweed/
I've handled the leaves without ill effect - but think I'll proceed with
caution. Cooking it sounds tempting though!

While the shoots are curled-up rather like bracken shoots.

Those, fat hen, and other wild foods were my staple from 2006 - 2008ish.

DWP cocked-up paying me my state pension for two and a half years,so it
was live off the land, starve, or turn to crime.

Fortunately, I have amassed a useful knowledge of edible plants, fungi,
and am a good shot.

--
Rusty Hinge