Old 07-06-2013, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Twool

The Provenance Company has created Twool, a garden or household/craft
twine made from the wool of the Whiteface Dartmoor sheep. If you like
pretty colours in your garden, or lovely twine to wrap up parcels,
Twool is for you! It's not cheap but it is lovely and the little
brochure also shows it being used for fringing., so it has more than
one application. An individual spool of 35 metres has an RRP of £3.95
and the range of colours is Slinky Minky, Green Fingers, Mellow Yellow,
Cheeky Chocolate, Risque Rust and Au Naturel. You can also buy Devon
Milk soap.
I was quite interested to read that it takes 9 different industries to
get from "wool to Twool" and they're all British - farmers, shearers,
woollen mill, spinner, dyer, bailer, designer, printer, distributor!
www.twool.co.uk
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 09:40:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I was quite interested to read that it takes 9 different industries to
get from "wool to Twool" and they're all British - farmers, shearers,
woollen mill, spinner, dyer, bailer, designer, printer, distributor!
www.twool.co.uk

Missed one The British Wool Marketing Board. With very few exceptions
all wool produced in the UK goes via them.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-07 10:00:20 +0100, Dave Liquorice said:

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 09:40:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I was quite interested to read that it takes 9 different industries to
get from "wool to Twool" and they're all British - farmers, shearers,
woollen mill, spinner, dyer, bailer, designer, printer, distributor!
www.twool.co.uk

Missed one The British Wool Marketing Board. With very few exceptions
all wool produced in the UK goes via them.

It's not one they listed. I wonder if it does go via them as it's not
for wearing or weaving?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-06-2013, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-07 11:01:09 +0100, Chris Hogg said:

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 09:40:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

The Provenance Company has created Twool, a garden or household/craft
twine made from the wool of the Whiteface Dartmoor sheep.
www.twool.co.uk

Is this a phoenix from the ashes of the Buckfastleigh Woollen Mill,
that went down when Axminster Carpets failed?

No but coincidentally, I've just driven home from Buckfastleigh and the
gigantic looms were on the back of great big long lorries and being
taken away. It was a very sad sight. The Abbey has bought the site and
will soon be in talks about how best to develop the 9.4 acres of it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-06-2013, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-07 11:01:09 +0100, Chris Hogg said:

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 09:40:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

The Provenance Company has created Twool, a garden or household/craft
twine made from the wool of the Whiteface Dartmoor sheep.
www.twool.co.uk

Is this a phoenix from the ashes of the Buckfastleigh Woollen Mill,
that went down when Axminster Carpets failed?

No but coincidentally, I've just driven home from Buckfastleigh and the
gigantic looms were on the back of great big long lorries and being
taken away. It was a very sad sight. The Abbey has bought the site and
will soon be in talks about how best to develop the 9.4 acres of it.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!
sounds like a yarn to me.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:04:12 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Missed one The British Wool Marketing Board. With very few

exceptions
all wool produced in the UK goes via them.

It's not one they listed. I wonder if it does go via them as it's not
for wearing or weaving?

Doesn't matter what the end use is. AIUI, in broad terms, any wool
producer has to send their wool to the Marketing Board unless they
want it back from a processor to use/sell themselves. You can't just
send part of your production to the Board and keep some back, it's
all or nothing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-07 11:01:09 +0100, Chris Hogg said:

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 09:40:11 +0100, Sacha wrote:

The Provenance Company has created Twool, a garden or household/craft
twine made from the wool of the Whiteface Dartmoor sheep.
www.twool.co.uk

Is this a phoenix from the ashes of the Buckfastleigh Woollen Mill,
that went down when Axminster Carpets failed?

No but coincidentally, I've just driven home from Buckfastleigh and the
gigantic looms were on the back of great big long lorries and being
taken away. It was a very sad sight. The Abbey has bought the site and
will soon be in talks about how best to develop the 9.4 acres of it.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!
sounds like a yarn to me.

They spin a good tale!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

The Provenance Company has created Twool, a garden or household/craft
twine made from the wool of the Whiteface Dartmoor sheep. If you like
pretty colours in your garden, or lovely twine to wrap up parcels,
Twool is for you! It's not cheap but it is lovely and the little
brochure also shows it being used for fringing., so it has more than
one application. An individual spool of 35 metres has an RRP of £3.95
and the range of colours is Slinky Minky, Green Fingers, Mellow Yellow,
Cheeky Chocolate, Risque Rust and Au Naturel. You can also buy Devon
Milk soap.
I was quite interested to read that it takes 9 different industries to
get from "wool to Twool" and they're all British - farmers, shearers,
woollen mill, spinner, dyer, bailer, designer, printer, distributor!
www.twool.co.uk

I think is's great that wool is being reinvented. But how expensive is it?
There was an article on Countryfile where Adam Henson sheared a sheep and
took the bail to a spinner, had it weaved, dyed and made into a suit. He
looke very smart in it. It cost £700.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ysrhk

A picture of hin wearing the suit.

Cheers.
Baz
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-08 13:06:49 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in :

[...]

For a tailor made suit that's cheap! But the Twool isn't for making
clothes, it's a form of twine.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-06-08 13:06:49 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

[...]

Yes. that is the point Sacha, too expensive at the moment for string. Any
wool based poduct will be expensive.
I think twine is traditionaly hemp based. But any "twin" can be strung.
Even wool. Without the 9. I just think that this Twool is a bit of a way to
catch over inflated walets IMO. Sorry to say that.

Baz

Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-08 16:42:16 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-06-08 13:06:49 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

[...]

Not at all. I did say it wasn't cheap. But it's beautiful and has other
applications than in the garden, so to me, it's an interesting product
and it helps keep a rather scarce breed of sheep relevant to today's
world. I don't think we'll be buying it to tie up the plants but I may
well buy some to tie up presents, for example.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-08 16:42:16 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-06-08 13:06:49 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

[...]

So next time we come down your way we will be looking out for the multi
coloured sheep, Slinky Minky, Green Fingers, Mellow Yellow, Cheeky
Chocolate, Risque Rust
and Au Naturel.
They should be quite a sight.
David @ the arid part of Swansea Bay
Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-08 16:42:16 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-06-08 13:06:49 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

[...]

As your face would be - if you saw them! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/06/2013 17:04, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...

For a tailor made suit that's cheap! But the Twool isn't for making
clothes, it's a form of twine.

But surely that is what the well bred countryman uses
to keep his trousers on!

You mean a posh form of binder twine?