Old 17-06-2013, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Talking of Peas

I've noticed that a lot of the seed companies don't show the height of
the peas on the packets now
Old 17-06-2013, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

I've noticed that a lot of the seed companies don't show the height of the
peas on the packets now

Virtually all the peas commercially available are short these days, you may
still find Alderman available but that isn't the tallest pea there ever was.
I remember growing peas that grew to 7ft or more, much easier to pick but
you have to provide something for them to climb up.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-06-2013, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2013 22:54, Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

I've noticed that a lot of the seed companies don't show the height of
the peas on the packets now

Virtually all the peas commercially available are short these days, you
may still find Alderman available but that isn't the tallest pea there
ever was. I remember growing peas that grew to 7ft or more, much easier
to pick but you have to provide something for them to climb up.

As you say Bob most of what's available are short, they say to use pea
sticks or netting, but where do you get 3ft netting?
I grow Epicure which is a 6ft+ variety and this year am trying Lord
Leicester, another tall variety.
The thing about tall varieties is that they crop over a much longer period.
I see that for short varieties they say to sow every 2 to 3 weeks to get
a succession.
I use Pea/bean netting to support them, much easier.
David @ an overcast side of Swansea Bay
Old 18-06-2013, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"David Hill" wrote

I've noticed that a lot of the seed companies don't show the height of
the peas on the packets now

Virtually all the peas commercially available are short these days, you
may still find Alderman available but that isn't the tallest pea there
ever was. I remember growing peas that grew to 7ft or more, much easier
to pick but you have to provide something for them to climb up.

As you say Bob most of what's available are short, they say to use pea
sticks or netting, but where do you get 3ft netting?
I grow Epicure which is a 6ft+ variety and this year am trying Lord
Leicester, another tall variety.
The thing about tall varieties is that they crop over a much longer period.
I see that for short varieties they say to sow every 2 to 3 weeks to get a
succession.
I use Pea/bean netting to support them, much easier.

We use wire netting for our peas, neighbour asked us to take a roll of
plastic covered netting down the dump, it didn't get past the allotment!
Been using it for years. Also have some left over anti-rabbit wire netting
that we use if we plant more than two rows.
We stopped growing the tall ones after having them die on us a few years in
a row before they got to 4ft tall. Probably too hot for them but we just
decided to stick with Early Onward only and freeze them. We have also
planted them again later in the season for a late crop.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-06-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
I've noticed that a lot of the seed companies don't show the height of the
peas on the packets now

Virtually all the peas commercially available are short these days, you may
still find Alderman available but that isn't the tallest pea there ever was.
I remember growing peas that grew to 7ft or more, much easier to pick but
you have to provide something for them to climb up.

Victoriana do climbing peas. We have 2 kinds, one is Alderman, the other
I can't remember the name of.

Old 18-06-2013, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
We use wire netting for our peas, neighbour asked us to take a roll of
plastic covered netting down the dump, it didn't get past the allotment!
Been using it for years. Also have some left over anti-rabbit wire netting
that we use if we plant more than two rows.

I have never managed to re-use pea netting, much to my disappointment.
It always ends up in pieces and full of plant (pea and bindweed, typically)