Old 21-06-2013, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Feed - some observations

I usually use Miracle-Gro for my basic garden plant food (and a Tomorite
look-alike for the tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse).

I am growing some garlic this year, and I had read here a recommendation to
someone who had asked about garlic, to use seaweed extract. So I have done so.

The garlic is doing really well - so it looks like it likes seaweed.

I bought a teasel in autumn and put it in the garden: I have been feeding it
also with the seaweed extract (for no good reason other than it is next to the
garlic). It is doing fantastically well - a very healthy plant about 5ft high
now, with what looks like about 15 "heads" growing on it. So it looks like
teasels like seaweed.

I am also growing a couple of rows of runner beans which I was a bit late
putting out in to the garden. As the garlic and teasel had done so well I
thought I would try an experiment.

One row of beans I fed with Miracle-gro as usual. The other row with the
seaweed. What a difference between the two rows!! The seaweed row beans had
quite light green leaves and were not growing as quickly as the miracle-gro row
which was really growing well and has lovely, healthy looking leaves on it.

I have now dropped the seaweed and moved to miracle-gro for all beans. The
seaweed row has really recovered and the leaves have changed colour and the
plants look very well.

I knew that different plants liked, or even needed, different chemicals to
promote growth etc - but this was the first time I had experienced the
differences.

Finally a question : do people feed their young flowers (grown from seed) in
the greenhouse until they are ready to plant out?

Old 21-06-2013, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/06/2013 14:15, Judith in England wrote:

I usually use Miracle-Gro for my basic garden plant food (and a Tomorite
look-alike for the tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse).

I am growing some garlic this year, and I had read here a recommendation to
someone who had asked about garlic, to use seaweed extract. So I have done so.

The garlic is doing really well - so it looks like it likes seaweed.

It likes any kind of plant food.

I bought a teasel in autumn and put it in the garden: I have been feeding it
also with the seaweed extract (for no good reason other than it is next to the
garlic). It is doing fantastically well - a very healthy plant about 5ft high
now, with what looks like about 15 "heads" growing on it. So it looks like
teasels like seaweed.

You bought one? You will never get rid of it once it sets seed. They are
quite handsome seedhead in a rugged spikey sort of way! Bees and later
finches love them for nectar and seeds respectively.

Teasels also like stoney ground, cracks in pavement and all grow to
6-8'. They are not quite as prolific as foxgloves but similar. I grow
them on the wilder field boundaries as cattle won't nibble them much.

I am also growing a couple of rows of runner beans which I was a bit late
putting out in to the garden. As the garlic and teasel had done so well I
thought I would try an experiment.

One row of beans I fed with Miracle-gro as usual. The other row with the
seaweed. What a difference between the two rows!! The seaweed row beans had
quite light green leaves and were not growing as quickly as the miracle-gro row
which was really growing well and has lovely, healthy looking leaves on it.

I have now dropped the seaweed and moved to miracle-gro for all beans. The
seaweed row has really recovered and the leaves have changed colour and the
plants look very well.

Beans really do seem to be very tetchy for a plant that can fix its own
nitrogen! Mine didn't like being snowed on just after I planted seeds.

I knew that different plants liked, or even needed, different chemicals to
promote growth etc - but this was the first time I had experienced the
differences.

Finally a question : do people feed their young flowers (grown from seed) in
the greenhouse until they are ready to plant out?

Mine are lucky to get watered and live on what they get given.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 21-06-2013, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote in message

I usually use Miracle-Gro for my basic garden plant food (and a Tomorite
look-alike for the tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse).

I used to use Tomorite on most stuff. Recently, I compared the ingrediants
with Wilkinsons tomato feed. Wilkos has a higher concentration of
ingrediants at half the price.
--
Pete C

Old 22-06-2013, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/06/2013 20:44, Pete C wrote:
"Judith in wrote in message

I usually use Miracle-Gro for my basic garden plant food (and a Tomorite
look-alike for the tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse).

I used to use Tomorite on most stuff. Recently, I compared the ingrediants
with Wilkinsons tomato feed. Wilkos has a higher concentration of
ingrediants at half the price.

That's worth knowing! Thanks.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 22-06-2013, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in wrote in message

I usually use Miracle-Gro for my basic garden plant food (and a Tomorite
look-alike for the tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse).

I used to use Tomorite on most stuff. Recently, I compared the
ingrediants
with Wilkinsons tomato feed. Wilkos has a higher concentration of
ingrediants at half the price.

That's worth knowing! Thanks.

My pleasure. Fancy a beer? email is valid.
--
Pete C