Old 16-10-2013, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Grammer question

"I think that its 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen."

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen.

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen but it doesn't
matter because the pound note is obsolete .

www.rneba.org.uk

"Baz" wrote in message ...

David Hill wrote in news:bc785rF4rhaU1
@mid.individual.net:

Around £10,000 were stolen from a house
Or should it be
Around £10,000 was stolen from a house.

If you regard the money as individual notes then they "were" stolen but
if you regard it as a single unit of money then it "was" stolen.
It's niggling me.

Yes thats a poser. I think you are right.
I think that its 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen.
Thats not the case, £10,000 WAS stolen.

12 bottles of vinegar were stolen so the theives could put IT on their
chips.
A case of 12 bottles of vinegar WAS stolen so the theives could put THEM on
their chips. If it was IT, and not THEM, surely the theives would be
putting the case, not the bottle onto their chips.
WAS it stolen, or WERE they stolen, was it THEM (or those) or IT that was
stolen?

Even more confusing. For me at least. That is my stumbling block.

Baz

Old 16-10-2013, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/10/2013 13:16, 'Mike' wrote:
"I think that its 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen."

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen.

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen but it
doesn't matter because the pound note is obsolete .

Stop blathering
No one said £1.00 notes, you can have £10,000 in notes be they £5.00
£10.00 or what ever denomination.
But you could have a numismatists or a notaphilist whose collection had
10,000 £1.00 notes

Old 16-10-2013, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Malcolm, the very first posting in the thread ....

To what degree do Spelling and Grammar matter? ;-)

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

"Malcolm" wrote in message ...

In article , David Hill
writes
On 16/10/2013 13:16, 'Mike' wrote:
"I think that its 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen."

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen.

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen but it
doesn't matter because the pound note is obsolete .

Stop blathering
No one said £1.00 notes, you can have £10,000 in notes be they £5.00
£10.00 or what ever denomination.
But you could have a numismatists or a notaphilist whose collection had
10,000 £1.00 notes

In the spirit of being helpful, I fear I can't resist pointing out,
which no-one else seems to have done, that your subject line contains a
spelling error :-)

--
Malcolm

Old 16-10-2013, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Top posting because sooooooooo many people fail to observe the suggestion
that dross should be snipped. You've been down the thread once to read what
was said, why cover the whole lot again?

Kindest regards

Mike

(I do accept that posters on here will have a poke at me at every
opportunity and it gives friends of mine who don't bother to break into the
clique a damn good laugh. Please carry on. Hope I have not set the speakers
too high for you to)

www.rneba.org.uk

"Malcolm" wrote in message ...

In article , 'Mike'
writes

"Malcolm" wrote in message ...

In article , David Hill
writes
On 16/10/2013 13:16, 'Mike' wrote:
"I think that its 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen."

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen.

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen but it
doesn't matter because the pound note is obsolete .

Stop blathering
No one said £1.00 notes, you can have £10,000 in notes be they £5.00
£10.00 or what ever denomination.
But you could have a numismatists or a notaphilist whose collection had
10,000 £1.00 notes

In the spirit of being helpful, I fear I can't resist pointing out,
which no-one else seems to have done, that your subject line contains a
spelling error :-)

-------------------------------------
Top posting brought down to correct (!) position at the bottom.

Malcolm, the very first posting in the thread ....

Not specifically pointed out.

To what degree do Spelling and Grammar matter? ;-)

Hardly at all, provided the meaning is clear and, above all,
unambiguous.

Neither are heinous crimes, unlike top-posting in a thread!

--
Malcolm

Old 16-10-2013, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mandy Rice Davies had an answer to that Malcolm

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

"Malcolm" wrote in message ...

In article , 'Mike'
writes

Top posting because sooooooooo many people fail to observe the
suggestion that dross should be snipped. You've been down the thread
once to read what was said, why cover the whole lot again?

A very feeble response. But then you're afraid no-one will take any
notice of you unless you try and defy convention, which is the action of
a loser.

There's always a case for trimming, but none for putting the answer
above the question.

Top poster

Top who?

Top

Who's there?

Knock, knock

--
Malcolm

Old 16-10-2013, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/10/2013 20:03, 'Mike' wrote:
Mandy Rice Davies had an answer to that Malcolm

Her answer was related to newspapers of the day
One Mail
One Mirror
and as many Times as she could get.
Old 16-10-2013, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-10-16 16:46:20 +0100, Malcolm said:

snip

Neither are heinous crimes, unlike top-posting in a thread!

He does it to get the attention he has just received, because he knows
urglers dislike it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-10-2013, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You know very well that he does it because the clique don't follow the
suggestions of snipping the dross from their posts.

I don't need the attention thank you very much, I don't have anything to
advertise ................... yet.

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Old 16-10-2013, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/10/2013 18:35, 'Mike' wrote:
I don't need the attention thank you very much, I don't have anything to
advertise

Not your cruising
the theatre,
reunions
Etc?
None of which have any connection with gardening, unless of course you
are cruising in local gardens.
Old 16-10-2013, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David I am delighted that they have all registered.

No none of those, it's a book.

Mike

www.rneba.org.uk

Old 16-10-2013, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 16/10/2013 18:35, 'Mike' wrote:
I don't need the attention thank you very much, I don't have anything to
advertise

Not your cruising
the theatre,
reunions
Etc?
None of which have any connection with gardening, unless of course you are
cruising in local gardens.

Just for the record it should read " None of which HAS......" NONE is
singular, something the BBC and other media seem to forget.

Bill

Old 16-10-2013, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/10/2013 13:52, Malcolm wrote:

In article , David Hill
writes
On 16/10/2013 13:16, 'Mike' wrote:
"I think that its 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen."

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen.

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen but it
doesn't matter because the pound note is obsolete .

Stop blathering
No one said £1.00 notes, you can have £10,000 in notes be they £5.00
£10.00 or what ever denomination.
But you could have a numismatists or a notaphilist whose collection
had 10,000 £1.00 notes

In the spirit of being helpful, I fear I can't resist pointing out,
which no-one else seems to have done, that your subject line contains a
spelling error :-)

Wow!
Me make a spelling mistake.
I've been doing that all my life, why change now?
I have a habit of using double letters when single are required and
single when it should be double.
I remember in school having essays back with "Good composition, must
learn to spell" nothing has changed.
David
Old 16-10-2013, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , David Hill
writes
On 16/10/2013 13:16, 'Mike' wrote:
"I think that its 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen."

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen.

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen but it
doesn't matter because the pound note is obsolete .

Not in Scotland it isn't, and you can have great fun with them in
English Chinese restaurants!

Phil

Old 16-10-2013, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Gurr" wrote in news:bc7mpiF7tp9U1
@mid.individual.net:

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , David Hill
writes
On 16/10/2013 13:16, 'Mike' wrote:
"I think that its 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen."

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen.

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen but it
doesn't matter because the pound note is obsolete .

Not in Scotland it isn't, and you can have great fun with them in
English Chinese restaurants!

Phil

:-)
Old 16-10-2013, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/10/2013 13:16, 'Mike' wrote:

"I think that its 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen."

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen.

I think that it's 10,000 one pound notes notes WERE stolen but it
doesn't matter because the pound note is obsolete .

Which immediately makes your first question ridiculous, since you're
obviously such a pedant that spelling and grammar would be important to you.

www.rneba.org.uk

"Baz" wrote in message ...

[...]

Spider.
On high ground in SE London