Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-11-2013, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Christmas present for a gardener

Well, I gave it to myself, early. If you're stuck for your gardening
partner's pressie (or they are, for you) may I recommend

"Home Ground: Sanctuary in the City" by Dan Pearson.

ISBN 978-1-84091-537-2

It's a beautifully produced hardback which would have been well worth
the cover price of £28; I just can't understand why it's now being sold
for a bargain £7. IMO this should be a classic on anyone's garden book
shelf. I got mine in a GC but it's available online.

It's an account of how he designed planted and created his own city
garden. How he approached this is a very well explained version of that
classic urg thread from newbies "I've got a new garden, where to start
and what to do".. but it's far more than that; about what it means to
garden and create; lots of design and plant discussion (by seasons) to
interest longterm knowledgeable gardeners and beginners.

Beautiful photography, gorgeous paper, a proper index, meaty content.
So rare to find a book that any age or stage of gardener could revel in
and learn from. Enjoy.

Janet.