Old 25-11-2013, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Christmas present for a gardener

Well, I gave it to myself, early. If you're stuck for your gardening
partner's pressie (or they are, for you) may I recommend

"Home Ground: Sanctuary in the City" by Dan Pearson.

ISBN 978-1-84091-537-2

It's a beautifully produced hardback which would have been well worth
the cover price of £28; I just can't understand why it's now being sold
for a bargain £7. IMO this should be a classic on anyone's garden book
shelf. I got mine in a GC but it's available online.

It's an account of how he designed planted and created his own city
garden. How he approached this is a very well explained version of that
classic urg thread from newbies "I've got a new garden, where to start
and what to do".. but it's far more than that; about what it means to
garden and create; lots of design and plant discussion (by seasons) to
interest longterm knowledgeable gardeners and beginners.

Beautiful photography, gorgeous paper, a proper index, meaty content.
So rare to find a book that any age or stage of gardener could revel in
and learn from. Enjoy.

Janet.

Old 25-11-2013, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote

[...]

I keep putting the book "The Art of the Islamic Garden" by Emma Clark on my
list but no takers so far. Notice it's down in price at Amazon so maybe this
year if no-one buys it for me I'll put my hand in my own pocket. :-)
I've been fascinated by those gardens ever since seeing one at an Hotel in
Jaipur, the Jai Mahal Palace Hotel.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-11-2013, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

Well, I gave it to myself, early. If you're stuck for your gardening
partner's pressie (or they are, for you) may I recommend

"Home Ground: Sanctuary in the City" by Dan Pearson.

Hi Janet,

My "speed" reading let me down - I read the title as " Home Guard Sanctuary"

Your version is probably a better book :-)

iBill

Old 27-11-2013, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

Well, I gave it to myself, early. If you're stuck for your gardening
partner's pressie (or they are, for you) may I recommend

"Home Ground: Sanctuary in the City" by Dan Pearson.

Hi Janet,

My "speed" reading let me down - I read the title as " Home Guard
Sanctuary"

"Stupid boy" :-)

Capt. Mainwaring

We're dooooomed !

Bill

Old 17-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Well, I gave it to myself, early. If you're stuck for your gardening
partner's pressie (or they are, for you) may I recommend

"Home Ground: Sanctuary in the City" by Dan Pearson.

ISBN 978-1-84091-537-2
I got a copy of that for my husband for Christmas and he swears by it. Seems to be a good choice among gardeners who have to work in confined spaces - which is exactly what our tiny townhouse garden has..erm...spades of. I bought it from Amazon and got a really great deal with some vouchers off this site called Voucherbox. There's plenty of money saving coupons for gardeners and florists also, along with anything you can imagine. Take a look.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Registered User

Give a Christmas presents to gardener is a really tough, because what items to select for gardeners. Gardening presents are high cost compare to other gifts. Also Present a gardening book is best for gardeners.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Registered User

Give a Christmas presents to gardener is a really tough, its not easy to select items to select for gardeners. The Home Ground: Sanctuary in the City seems great, and its be choice for gardeners work in confined spaces.