Old 28-11-2013, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default UK ants farming fungi

A long while ago we had a discussion where I reckoned I had ants in my
garden that farmed a fungus. Well yesterday I put a spade through what
looks to me like a perfect example of their action. Small 5cm x 5cm x
1cm chambers with a white mushroomy smelling fungus uniformly coating
the walls. Unfortunately the ants are long gone now wherever they go.

However, I now know exactly where to dig next year and hope to catch
them in the act. Unfortunately I was digging quite vigorously and didn't
spot it in time to avoid messing it up, but pieces of the white fungal
carpet were obvious as I smashed up the soil.

I will go back and try to catch them in the act next year.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 28-11-2013, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 10:36:54 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

A long while ago we had a discussion where I reckoned I had ants in my
garden that farmed a fungus. Well yesterday I put a spade through what
looks to me like a perfect example of their action. Small 5cm x 5cm x
1cm chambers with a white mushroomy smelling fungus uniformly coating
the walls. Unfortunately the ants are long gone now wherever they go.

However, I now know exactly where to dig next year and hope to catch
them in the act. Unfortunately I was digging quite vigorously and didn't
spot it in time to avoid messing it up, but pieces of the white fungal
carpet were obvious as I smashed up the soil.

I will go back and try to catch them in the act next year.

You need to make sure you have a device capable of taking photos with
you next time!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 28-11-2013, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote

Martin Brown wrote:

A long while ago we had a discussion where I reckoned I had ants in my
garden that farmed a fungus. Well yesterday I put a spade through what
looks to me like a perfect example of their action. Small 5cm x 5cm x
1cm chambers with a white mushroomy smelling fungus uniformly coating
the walls. Unfortunately the ants are long gone now wherever they go.

However, I now know exactly where to dig next year and hope to catch
them in the act. Unfortunately I was digging quite vigorously and didn't
spot it in time to avoid messing it up, but pieces of the white fungal
carpet were obvious as I smashed up the soil.

I will go back and try to catch them in the act next year.

You need to make sure you have a device capable of taking photos with
you next time!

Perhaps Apple will bring out a spade with a camera in it. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
Posted to this Newsgroup from the W of London, UKP
Old 28-11-2013, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Bob Hobden wrote:

Perhaps Apple will bring out a spade with a camera in it. :-)

You haven't got an iSpade yet?!

--
Chris
Old 28-11-2013, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/11/2013 13:25, CT wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:

Perhaps Apple will bring out a spade with a camera in it. :-)

You haven't got an iSpade yet?!

Can't afford the second mortgage needed to buy one.

I did get a pPod kit for my birthday (ie. packet of pea seeds)...

I have been back and taken a picture of the best preserved bit that I
accidentally dug up. It is still show white, knobbly and furry.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 28-11-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/11/2013 10:36, Martin Brown wrote:
A long while ago we had a discussion where I reckoned I had ants in my
garden that farmed a fungus. Well yesterday I put a spade through what
looks to me like a perfect example of their action. Small 5cm x 5cm x
1cm chambers with a white mushroomy smelling fungus uniformly coating
the walls. Unfortunately the ants are long gone now wherever they go.

However, I now know exactly where to dig next year and hope to catch
them in the act. Unfortunately I was digging quite vigorously and didn't
spot it in time to avoid messing it up, but pieces of the white fungal
carpet were obvious as I smashed up the soil.

I will go back and try to catch them in the act next year.

If you google on "ants farming fungus", you will see some images for
comparison.

I tend to put ants in my compost heap. It helps break down the compost
very nicely.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 28-11-2013, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"mogga" wrote

Martin Brown wrote:

A long while ago we had a discussion where I reckoned I had ants in my
garden that farmed a fungus. Well yesterday I put a spade through what
looks to me like a perfect example of their action. Small 5cm x 5cm x 1cm
chambers with a white mushroomy smelling fungus uniformly coating the
walls. Unfortunately the ants are long gone now wherever they go.

However, I now know exactly where to dig next year and hope to catch them
in the act. Unfortunately I was digging quite vigorously and didn't spot
it in time to avoid messing it up, but pieces of the white fungal carpet
were obvious as I smashed up the soil.

I will go back and try to catch them in the act next year.

You need to make sure you have a device capable of taking photos with
you next time!

Perhaps Apple will bring out a spade with a camera in it. :-)

The idig, that is.

Steve

Old 28-11-2013, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/11/2013 14:57, Spider wrote:
On 28/11/2013 10:36, Martin Brown wrote:
A long while ago we had a discussion where I reckoned I had ants in my
garden that farmed a fungus. Well yesterday I put a spade through what
looks to me like a perfect example of their action. Small 5cm x 5cm x
1cm chambers with a white mushroomy smelling fungus uniformly coating
the walls. Unfortunately the ants are long gone now wherever they go.

However, I now know exactly where to dig next year and hope to catch
them in the act. Unfortunately I was digging quite vigorously and didn't
spot it in time to avoid messing it up, but pieces of the white fungal
carpet were obvious as I smashed up the soil.

I will go back and try to catch them in the act next year.

If you google on "ants farming fungus", you will see some images for
comparison.

The closest to the texture of the farmed fungus is on this one. It was
literally snow white and mushroomy until I covered it in soil.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ectedIndex=112

and

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=70

Neither are quite right. It was much whiter than either and more nobbly
than the first and much less than the second. Appeared to be just
growing as a skin on the chambers. I haven't ever seen any ants carrying
leaves in (but then I haven't looked that carefully).

I tend to put ants in my compost heap. It helps break down the compost
very nicely.

The heap must be a bit too dry them. Mine has worms, slow worms, frogs,
toads and if I am very lucky grass snakes lurking in or around it. The
amphibians surprise me since we are a long way from open water.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 28-11-2013, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/11/2013 17:16, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Oh, well, at least the rest of us got an idea of what you saw, which helps.

I tend to put ants in my compost heap. It helps break down the compost
very nicely.

The heap must be a bit too dry them.

I would normally have thought so, but it doesn't seem to work like that,
fortunately. I get excellent compost from my bins so, presumably, it's
neither too dry nor too wet. Alas, I don't get snakes and amphibians,
but have oodles of worms, woodlice, ants in season, and even spiders.
Unfortunately, I have slugs in a couple of bins at the moment :~((. I
don't mind snails so much; they tend to eat themselves to death and
politely decompose, but slugs enjoy it too much *and* breed! Horrendous.

Mine has worms, slow worms, frogs,
toads and if I am very lucky grass snakes lurking in or around it. The
amphibians surprise me since we are a long way from open water.

It's surprising just how far amphibians seem to travel. Sadly, I
haven't seen many since the Red Leg disease of frogs. My one and only
toad managed to crush itself in a stack of terracotta pots:~((.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 29-11-2013, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

A long while ago we had a discussion where I reckoned I had ants in my
garden that farmed a fungus. Well yesterday I put a spade through what
looks to me like a perfect example of their action. Small 5cm x 5cm x
1cm chambers with a white mushroomy smelling fungus uniformly coating
the walls. Unfortunately the ants are long gone now wherever they go.

However, I now know exactly where to dig next year and hope to catch
them in the act. Unfortunately I was digging quite vigorously and didn't
spot it in time to avoid messing it up, but pieces of the white fungal
carpet were obvious as I smashed up the soil.

I will go back and try to catch them in the act next year.

That sounds like a show worth watching to me!

Steve

Old 29-11-2013, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

A long while ago we had a discussion where I reckoned I had ants in my
garden that farmed a fungus. Well yesterday I put a spade through what
looks to me like a perfect example of their action. Small 5cm x 5cm x
1cm chambers with a white mushroomy smelling fungus uniformly coating
the walls. Unfortunately the ants are long gone now wherever they go.

However, I now know exactly where to dig next year and hope to catch
them in the act. Unfortunately I was digging quite vigorously and didn't
spot it in time to avoid messing it up, but pieces of the white fungal
carpet were obvious as I smashed up the soil.

I will go back and try to catch them in the act next year.

That sounds like a show worth watching to me!

You can!

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/kids-only/natur...cam/index.html

Steve

Old 29-11-2013, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/11/2013 11:37, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 16:31:46 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"mogga" wrote

Martin Brown wrote:

A long while ago we had a discussion where I reckoned I had ants in my
garden that farmed a fungus. Well yesterday I put a spade through what
looks to me like a perfect example of their action. Small 5cm x 5cm x 1cm
chambers with a white mushroomy smelling fungus uniformly coating the
walls. Unfortunately the ants are long gone now wherever they go.

However, I now know exactly where to dig next year and hope to catch them
in the act. Unfortunately I was digging quite vigorously and didn't spot
it in time to avoid messing it up, but pieces of the white fungal carpet
were obvious as I smashed up the soil.

I will go back and try to catch them in the act next year.

You need to make sure you have a device capable of taking photos with
you next time!

Perhaps Apple will bring out a spade with a camera in it. :-)

The idig, that is.

iShovelcrap.

Hope you've had your tetanus jab, then! ;~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London