Old 14-12-2013, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Butterfy - overwintering?

Just found a Small Tortoisehell on our back bedroom windowsill --
absolutey no idea how it got there.

However: is there anything I can do to give it the best chance of
surviving the winter? Put in a dark place? Light place? Cold? Warm?
Inside? Out?

Cheers
John
Old 14-12-2013, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news...ndoors.html#cr

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-12-2013, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 16:03:06 +0000, Another John
wrote:

Just found a Small Tortoisehell on our back bedroom windowsill --
absolutey no idea how it got there.

However: is there anything I can do to give it the best chance of
surviving the winter? Put in a dark place? Light place? Cold? Warm?
Inside? Out?

Cheers
John

One autumn we observed a sluggish Red Admiral butterfly fall out of
something while some boxes were moved in an unheated outbuilding,just
happened to have some of that armaflex pipe insulation handy so the
butterfly was gently pushed into a short length. This was then placed
in a dark draught free corner and forgotten about. The following
spring it was a nice surprise when the Butterfly emerged and flew
away.
Most of the time the building would have been unlit with lights only
on for during short visits.
You don't want a place where it may get warm as it could come out of
hibernation too early before the outside world conditions are suitable
for it to survive. There must also be access to the outside for when
it does wake up.

G.Harman
Old 15-12-2013, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks a lot to Sacha for the almost instantaneous reply, and to GH for
the personal experience: I've put the little chap in the garage out of
the way, and let's hope for the minor miracle next Spring!

John
Old 15-12-2013, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/12/2013 16:03, Another John wrote:
Just found a Small Tortoisehell on our back bedroom windowsill --
absolutey no idea how it got there.

However: is there anything I can do to give it the best chance of
surviving the winter? Put in a dark place? Light place? Cold? Warm?
Inside? Out?

Somewhere cool and dry without too many cobwebs.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 15-12-2013, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 08:19:25 +0000, Another John wrote:

I've put the little chap in the garage out of the way, and let's hope
for the minor miracle next Spring!

That's probably the best place. Once spring arrives and it warms up I
have to remember to go into garage when it's warm to let the now
awake overwintered butterflys out. One year I removed a dozen that
where flittering against the window...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Overwintering Hyacinths Tbumpy Ponds 27 02-10-2003 12:22 AM
Overwintering Citrus Trees John T. Jarrett Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Overwintering Citrus Trees John T. Jarrett Texas 1 18-03-2003 03:08 AM
Overwintering plants don't do well? Polar Edible Gardening 0 02-03-2003 03:27 AM
passionflowers & overwintering Janna United Kingdom 4 10-11-2002 07:44 PM