GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   animal id please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/208939-animal-id-please.html)

Janet 30-12-2013 11:59 AM

animal id please

In article , kay.d369276
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Gosh! What a lot of replies!

It was the urg Christmas quiz :-) No cigar, then.

Not any of those.

Water vole - tail too long, and it was light silver grey
weasel - too fat and stationary
polecat/ferret - body too short, tail much thinner
stoat - body too short
otter - tail too thin
squirrel - it was not a mangey tail, it was a perfectly well-formed thin
tail, like a rat or mouse.

The closest I can think of is a degu. While it's not totally impossible
(it's also a residential area, and there's a nearby petshop), rat is
still looking the best bet.

I had to google degu, never heard of them before. See what you learn
on usenet..

Janet

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 30-12-2013 04:00 PM

animal id please

In article ,
kay wrote:
'Nick Maclaren[_3_ Wrote:
;996843']In article ,
Christina Websell
wrote:-

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

Then it was almost certainly a rat. It might have been an exotic
rat, kept as a pet, that escaped or was released. For example,
an acacia rat.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

sacha 30-12-2013 05:06 PM

animal id please

On 2013-12-30 10:18:12 +0000, kay said:

'Nick Maclaren[_3_ Wrote:
;996843']In article ,
Christina Websell
wrote:-

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

kay 30-12-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet (Post 996847)
I had to google degu, never heard of them before. See what you learn
on usenet..

They're lovely! They're busy and active and apparently intelligent, while all the time chirrupping to each other like guinea pigs.

Bob Hobden 30-12-2013 06:09 PM

animal id please

"sacha" wrote
, kay said:

'Nick Maclaren Wrote:
,
Christina Websell wrote:-

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of a
medium dog.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Sacha[_11_] 30-12-2013 10:51 PM

animal id please

On 2013-12-30 18:09:58 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote
, kay said:

'Nick Maclaren Wrote:
,
Christina Websell wrote:-

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of a
medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

David Hill 30-12-2013 11:09 PM

animal id please

On 2013-12-30 18:09:58 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote
, kay said:

'Nick Maclaren Wrote:
,
Christina Websell wrote:-

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 31-12-2013 09:09 AM

animal id please

On 2013-12-30 18:09:58 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

Or a Rat-Tailed Rutabaga!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bob Hobden 31-12-2013 12:39 PM

animal id please

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Bob Hobden said:

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

Or a Rat-Tailed Rutabaga!

Have you ever grown any?

Or an escaped Gilberts Potoroo. Probably a touch unlikely though seeing as
it's well on the endangered list. :-)

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

sacha 31-12-2013 02:19 PM

animal id please

On 2013-12-30 18:09:58 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote
, kay said:

'Nick Maclaren Wrote:
,
Christina Websell wrote:-

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

One of those mini-pigsā€¦.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

sacha 31-12-2013 02:19 PM

animal id please

On 2013-12-31 12:39:17 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Bob Hobden said:

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

Or a Rat-Tailed Rutabaga!

Have you ever grown any?

Or an escaped Gilberts Potoroo. Probably a touch unlikely though seeing
as it's well on the endangered list. :-)

It sounds like a hideous disease!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

David Hill 31-12-2013 03:09 PM

animal id please

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

Or a Rat-Tailed Rutabaga!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I thought that was a type of American Camper van.

Bob Hobden 31-12-2013 04:48 PM

animal id please

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:

http://www.potoroo.org/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Sacha[_11_] 31-12-2013 05:36 PM

animal id please

On 2013-12-31 16:48:13 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Bob Hobden said:

My money is still on a squirrel with a skin problem.-

That's certainly a very likely scenario. It might have caught
its tail in something, for example.

Definitely not. It was an immaculate mouse/rat type tail. No hint of
scarring.

There are Coypus running wild in Britain.

Coypu are large rodents, with tails 12 to 18 inches long. The size of
a medium dog.

Well, we've had just about everything else in the mix.... ;-)

Not yet, we haven't had a miniature pygmy elephant,
Thin tail, round face and grey

Or a Rat-Tailed Rutabaga!

Have you ever grown any?

Or an escaped Gilberts Potoroo. Probably a touch unlikely though seeing
as it's well on the endangered list. :-)

It sounds like a hideous disease!

http://www.potoroo.org/

That's enchanting, so I hope it's not what Kay saw and is safely tucked
up somewhere.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Bob Hobden 31-12-2013 06:00 PM

animal id please

"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
David Hill wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Bob Hobden said:

[...]

If you think that's cute how about a Quokka...

http://www.rottnestisland.com/about/flora-fauna/quokkas

Sorry, I'm having an Ozzy marsupial day.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.